Line Weight for Early Season

Hey guys,

Was curious what people are running for line weight when trolling for Browns. I am seeing the reports about the occasional king hitting shallow baits and if it happens when I get there in a few weeks I want to make sue my lines are setup properly. In the past I have used 10lb leaders while trolling for Browns. Should I go up to 12 or 15lb?

Thanks!

I imagine my setup is a bit different than others, but I'll play. I run 20lb mono with 12lb flouro for a leader for my board rods. My dipsey rods (if i slide out to deeper water) have 20lb braid with 20lb mono leader from the dipsey to the bait. My downrigger rods all have 30lb big game mono with a 20lb mono leader. Have yet to break a fish off due to line weight being too light - largest is a 29lb salmon. Set your drag properly. There have been monster tuna caught on single digit pound test spider wire which proves that drag/rod/reel combo is more important than line weight. 

Good luck!

For browns I run the same setups I use for walleye... 12lb big game mono to an 8lb flouro leader. Never had a problem with browns and even landed a couple low teens kings with these setups. Like others have said, set your drags right and don't horse them in and you will be fine.

Another factor to consider is how much sunlight your line will see day-to-day. I've noticed that my line deteriorates toward the end of the season, mainly because my boat is always out in the sunlight/the elements even when not in use. Sunlight will kill your line strength quickly. It is best to cover the line from UV exposure when stored. I should take my own advice. :headbang:

Thanks guys, just trying to see what others are doing as I am always trying to learn from others. On my flatline board rods I currently have 15lb main line and then I was going to switch up the leaders to fluro based on the advice of you guys for my pound test. On my 2 & 3 color setups I have 20lb backing. Dipsy rods are setup with wire, and my downrigger rods have 30lb backing and leaders based on the target species.

You'll be fine with 15lb main line on your boards. For me, that's probably as light as I would go. I know some charter capts that go as light as 8lb flouro on their leaders. I think I saw someone on here in a different thread make a great point: Flourocarbon is supposed to be invisible in the water at any line weight; why not go bigger. I would have gone with a 20lb flouro if they had it at my local store. 

I would put the 12# leaders away ( depending on where your fishing) ....learned a valuable lesson yesterday... #12 leaders, psychotic spring kings, and a guy used to ripping bass out of weeds do not mix......lol

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I usually run my lighter gear up until I find myself targeting primarily salmon. Ran into a few of those physco kings over the weekend. It was a good "refresher" for proper drag setting, patience, and communication on the boat. Light rods, small leaders and terminal tackle..... what could possibly go wrong, lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lol.... Had a guy on yesterday who was our "Copper guy" in the Monroe County Offshore Classic last year. He assumed he could put the same amount of heat on those spring sharks with BT gear... 2 bay rats and a couple Super Slims ....and a lot of me yelling.... SMH....
Diawa Heartland whoopin sticks, 17# leaders.... It's now on!
Tight lines boys

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app