marine ply

chum bucket

Don't know where you live,but Atlantic Plywood stocks marine plywood in a few types.I've bought several sheets of marine fir from them.They are a wholesale distributor only,but some of their branch's may sell direct to you.

Atlantic Plywood has branch's all over the country,and a lot in the northeast,here's their Rochester NY phone #585-458-4180.They may sell you direct,but if not,any lumber yard(a real one,not Home Depot) will order it for you.Many independent lumber yards will let you pay them,and will give you a Po#so that you can go to Atlantic and pick it up.

They have lots of branch's in the northeast,with several in NY,,Pa, and the New England states,so there should be one close to you.Give them a call,if they won't sell you direct,they can tell you which lumber yard will order it for you.

I bought some 4x8 sheets of 3/4" marine fir from them last year,and it cost about $70.00 a sheet.They carry all thicknesses of it,and i believe they also stock some other species of it,besides fir.

Good Luck

Jake,

I've done a few transom replacements,and have always used fir with excellent results.You could also use a composite like Coosa board,but it's very expensive.Done properly,fir will last longer than you will.

Here's a few pics of a transom i did on my 23' Seacraft this year.I used two sheets of 3/4" glued together with epoxy.the beam on this boat is a bit over eight feet.

The last picture shows how there are no voids in marine ply,and there are also more plies than regular fir.

If you click on the pics,you can enlarge them for a much better detail.

LAYING OUT THE PATTERN ON GLUED PLYWOOD

IMG_1022-1.jpg

CLAMPING AND BEDDING IN THE TRANSOM

IMG_1095.jpg

OUTSIDE VIEW

IMG_1099.jpg

LAYING UP GLASS ON THE INSIDE

IMG_0985.jpg

FINIHED OUTSIDE WITH NEW PAINT,AND STILL MASKED OFF

IMG_1583.jpg

FINISHED INSIDE

IMG_1543.jpg

A PICTURE OF THE GLUE LINE (dark line) BETWEEN THE TWO PIECES OF PLYWOOD.

IMG_1030.jpg

Thanks Seasquirrel,

I used System Three epoxy resin,thickened with Cabosil, to a consistency somewhere between ketchup and mayonaise.I troweled it on with a 3/16" notched trowel.

I didn't clamp it,but instead I laid the sheets on my garage floor,and placed about five hundred pounds of weight on it.I work for a scaffold co,so i was able to borrow a bunch of 50lb counter weights(about 15x15"steel plates).

I did a couple other transoms this way,and it works great,and there is no way it will ever come apart.

I used System Three resin,because I help out a friend in the marine fiberglass supply business,he sells it and many others,and we both are pretty familiar with it,and its use.

Very nice job, I can tell you have done that before. Now Ive got a question. When it comes to replaceing the engine and out drive what process did you use to have every thing line up properly? In my cae I should be able to pull out the old transom after disconecting it from the aluminum skin, and hopefully using it as a template for any thru holes needed.

Does your buddy sell the system three, and the cabosil or will I need to contact someone like Jamestown boat builders. I would only need a small amount concidering the transom is about 36x6'4". I s the system three the same as the West Epoxy system.

Thanks Jake

Jake,yes,he sells it,and his prices are very good.He ships everywhere and quickly.He carries Epoxy,Polyester,Vinylester,& Dion resins,gel coat, putties,fiberglass cloth,mat of all types,paints fasteners,paints,and anything needed to build or repair a boat.

I don't want to knock the competition,as they also have a good selection,and good brands,but you will get expert advice from the owner of Mertons on the phone,and his prices are generally better and shipping is faster.He has built several boats,and has been in the business for more than thirty years.

The System three is a brand of epoxy resin,and is a very high quality resin,as is West Systems,Mas epoxies,and a few others.Most of the major brands like these are very good resins.

His website is below

http://www.mertons.com

As for the outdrive,i had to completely gut everything,and build all new engine beds,as the originals were rotted.If you have to do likewise,I'd suggest that you record every measurement that you can think of regarding the engine placement,as it will help immensely when you have to fabricate the new beds.

I do have a Mercruiser cutout template that i gladly send to you if you need one.

Shoot me a PM,and i'll give you a phone #where you can reach me.It's easier to explain things verbally.

• 3 weeks later...

Aluminum,or wooden boat?

Are you just replacing the wood where an outboard motor would clamp too?If that's the case,then i wouldn't make it more complicated than it needs to be.Just get your self some good plywood,either marine,or A/C exterior fir ,or pressure treated,and cut it to the shape required and bolt it on.You will most likely have to double it up to get the right thickness.Seal the edges with some epoxy resin,(plywood is like a sponge on the edge)and paint both flat sides with a high quality marine paint,or maybe some porch and floor enamel.

If it's a wooden boat,then it's a whole different ball game.