Pro, and con's Out drive

dieselhp

Give me a break - Alpha-1 drives are not cheap and they don't break easily. There's no "data" which supports this whatsoever.....

I've had both drives - an Alpha-1 currently on my Trophy and a VP Duoprop on my previous boat. Both drives were fantastic and I haven't had any issues other than routine maintenance.

VP: Pros - very well built, shift very easily, quiet, Duoprop option was excellent, very little corrosion

VP: Cons - more expensive maintenance, can't get Volvo in Brunswick products (Trophy, Bayliner)

Merc: Pros - well built, cheaper maintenance, good dealer/parts availabity

Merc:Cons - outdrive scratches easy when cleaned, some have corrosion issues (I believe this was a Bravo drive issue), shifting is harsh c/w Volvo drive

I'd give a marina a call who services both and talk with a boat mechanic....good luck!

DISCLAIMER - I have no financial ties to either Mercruiser or Volvo, I don't sell boats or have any vested interest in recommending either product other than offering my honest opinion

- Chris

most any thing can be bought on ebay, you have to kow what what your looking for. i just bought over $700 worth of parts for a 275 volvo penta for less than $300. you just have to keep looking, and be sure of what your bidding on

ted

Dear DieselHP,

Here is a biased comment from a former owner of many outdrives! Stay away from I/O's of any kind. "They are the most expensive way to propel your way thru the water!" The outdrives in the 1980's all had their $$$$ problems. NOW the offshore parts guys (Far East substandard parts) are making complete drives for most of the 1980's. Why do you think they are making these parts! Because of the volume of repairs to these $$$ part eating suckers! I used to keep a spare merc Alpha One drive...never needed it, but sold it several times, usually in July! The OMC 800 drives were especially notorious for upper case failures...internally! Long hours trolling adds up to many $$$ in repair/maint. costs. Unless you find some of the sunken logs in the spring! then it gets really EXPENSIVE quick! I know you will end up owning one, so buy the service manuals, study hard, and plan to do your own repairs & maint. If you choose not to get your knuckles busted, Plan on spending some of your hard earned money every year.....Merc Outdrive gear oil just hit $15.00 a quart!!! Owning a decent boat for the big pond fun is rapidly going out of the reach of the middle class. YES, I own a Hamilton HJ213 Jet drive. Total repair costs in 553 hours of operation. One gasket.....15.00.....Two tubes of #2 grease, and one set of zincs $60.00. And I can run full throttle thru a log jam with a smile! And troll the shoreline in the springtime w/o worrying about the obstacles!

Thats all for now,

Respectfully submitted....Jet Boat Bill

Dear SS,

Docking with a Hamilton 213 split reverse bucket is easier then an I/O. I can turn around in the length of the boat (23') Steering response is instant @ any speed. In fact more speed gives better control. Until you have driven one, It is hard to believe how sensitive and precise control you have @ the dock. I have let several "propellor guys" drive my boat and dock it with 15 minutes of practice. One gentleman proceeded to Canada and ordered a Stanley/Connor 24 footer with a 6 cylinder 300 HP Yanmar diesel and Hamilton Jet. His boat is used in the rock/boulder water of Georgian Bay. ( short story...his insurance co. canceled him earlier when he lost two big Yamaha lower units.. to the rock gods!!) If you ever get to the NW US and take a ride on a NW style jet boat, do it. It will really open your eyes. Even the traditional NE lobster boats are converting to Hamilton Jets from traditional inboard/prop! These fisherman shift forward to reverse about 600 times a day! Try that with your I/O linkage and see how long it works! most commercial modern ships have changed to Hamilton Jets or Other commercial jet manuf. You won't see a change with fiberglass pleasure boats soon due to the design changes required in hulls. Of course the jet ski jet units are designed for low intial cost....Again the drive parts business is more profitable then the OEM business. Well planned by Merc/Bomb..(OMC) & Yami. Times are changing, but very slow in the present economy.

Respectfully,

Jet Boat Bill

P.S. ( I don't need a dock, most of the time, I just pull up on the beach & back off....Just like those LST,s in WW2)