Flat lining w/spoons

it really depends on just how deep you want to fish. clip on weights are used on erie to get down to the fish on the western basin. you can use any leads you want from 6' in front of the spoon to 60' then clip on the weight usually 1 or 2 oz weights are used. then let the weight out to get to the desired depth. the inline weight can also be used to get the spoon down. the inline weight is used a lot on the central basin on erie. a 3 oz weight is usually used then to get to deeper depths. you can find inline weights at rednekoutfitters.com which also has a depth chart for there weights. the depth will depend a lot on speed, the slower you go the deeper your lure goes, the faster you go the shallower your lure will be.

How fast you going and how deep you want to be?

When I started, I would often put a split wring on the end of my mono, and put a single 6 oz weight hooked to that split ring. Then I tied a 8 ft lead of 15 lb or 20 lb flouro to the spoon.  You could also us OR16 clips to connect the weight to the line ... then I'd suggest going to torpedo weights. Much better to go this way, in my opinion, here's a good website with connection details and dive charts.

TORPEDO DIVERS

When I first saw this I assumed the author was referring to flatlines spoons for brown trout when using spoons in lieu of stick baits.  I prefer on in water less than ten feet and two for water between ten and twenty feet.  If you really want to get deeper than that I’d consider using leadcore or cooper.  Real chaos can you clarify what you were referring to?

That’s what I thought.  I’d stick with a split shot or two 15feet ahead of the spoon.  Ones you get out past 15-20 feet you can go to sections of lead core.  Problem with leadcore shallower than that, unless you’re doing one color, is it will snag on inside turns.  

Edited by rhorst77

• 1 month later...

Main line to a barrel swivel- leave a long tag line on knot to attach the split shot. This way the split shot is not crimping on the main line weakening it and if you snag bottom the splits will slide off. Leader coming from the barrel is equal to length from rod tip to the reel (to clip onto for storage). Termination is a duolock swivel snap. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 2