Using the Navionics Platinum lake map on Lowrance 525

chowder

I have a Lowrance 525c DF ext gps in my 16.5' alumacraft and the Global Map5200 in my Islander. The factory maps range from poor to none, so I got the Navionics Platinum lake map SD chip. In the manual it says to download the navionics driver from the Lowrance support site, using a blank SD card and a SD reader with a USB port, then I put the SD card into the units to update them so they will run the Navionics map SD card. If any body has done this could you tell me if it went smooth or were there some things I should know about to make it easier. I did get a blank 2 GB SD card and a SD card reader w/ a USB interface.

I don't know how the maps will look but I just did an update on my new color Gps and it was easy just go to there site and copy to the sd then put it in the unit and power it up it down loads on turn on then you should be all set If you have problems call them before you install it so they are on the phone while you are doing it so you can ask questions that's what I did simple.The only problem I had was the wait to get a tech on the line it's best to call first thing in the morning. Hope this helps good luck let us know how you did.

• 2 weeks later...

It was very easy to download the upgrade onto the sd card, just had to follow a bunch of prompts. The bummer is that all my units are in a box in the house, so I can not power them up and see if the upgrade runs the Navionics bottom contour map. What contour map and GPS combos are the rest of you guys using, haven't heard much feed back on this process so there must be more popular options that I don't know about...

• 2 weeks later...

The download process is very simple. I updated my Lowrance GPS last summer and it went very smooth. Put my mapping chip in and the updated maps worked fine. Sounds like you have everything you need with the card reader and SD card. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Anyone want to dupe your card for me (I'll pay half price so we'll share the original expense) or doesn't it work that way? Is the Navonics maps the one to go with for Ontario and bays/finger lakes?