FNG!

10thMTNDAVE

Come on now, it stands for Fishing: New Guy!

The minds of some people...

I hear this is the part of the page where I am supposed to introduce myself, my boat, and my life. I am currently stuck in the middle of Iraq dreaming about fishing the big O. When I was still in short pants, my grandpa had a nice cottage on the Upper East Side, what was called "Boozers Beach" between Southwick Beach SP and Black Pond. Fond memories, and plenty of fishing, although not very sophisticated. Had an old 14ft aluminum rowboat with a Johnson 10hp. Used to drag a few silver/black Rapalas way back behind the boat in 8fow and catch some real nice rainbows (What is the difference between a Rainbow and a Steelhead anyways????) in the spring before Memorial Day, and plenty of Bass all summer just before dark with anything with a silver flash to it or frog colors. Lot has changed since then. Zebra Mussels, Spiny Fleas, Lamprey, Round Gobies...Who knows what else? I am currently assigned to the 10th Mountain Division (Couldn't guess that could you), and do to return around May 2009. I bought a house in Carthage, NY (I know too far from the deep water, right?) and plan on retiring soon after over 25 years of Service. Saving up my tax free dollars and combat pay to make payments on a G3 Deep V, all species fishing boat. Not like a lot of your big cabin trolling boats, but it is 20' 10" of working boat. Wouldn't be afraid to take it into deep water, and can still get in a lot of the smaller North Country lakes. I got lots of time here, so I have been reading a lot of these posts on this awesome sight. Been dreaming of buying lots of bells and whistles for the boat, fishing gear, and even picked up a book on Great Lakes trolling from Amazon (read about it somewhere on this site..Thanks to whoever dropped that nugget!). I got a lot to learn in five short months, so keep those posts coming. Never fished with Down Riggers or Dipseys, and now I am eager to give it a try...Can't do any worse than that old rowboat can I?

Dreaming of joining you...

-LTC Dave

Dave welcome to the site.Glad to have you aboard :) Any time you need to talk fishing this is the site to go to.If you want good reading here is a site that will help you in your quest to fishing the great lakes http://www.bigfishsportfishing.com/books.html When you get back home take a charter from one of the Captains on this site and you will learn so much on just one trip it will blow your mind :P I also want to thanks you for all that you do to keep me, my family, and America safe.You are a hero along with the rest of the troops over there :handshake: Have a happy holiday and be safe.

Dave -

Welcome to the site! We are glad to offer you a place to get your mind off things for a while. You have come to the right place if you want to learn more about trolling - these guys are the best! Welcome again and enjoy your stay 8)

Chad

:hi: Dave you are more than welcome to this site and we are fortunate to have you join us. It's the effort of people like you that allow guys like us the freedom to enjoy the great natural resources we have here in New York. I'm also a vet of a war from yesteryear and do not take this freedom for granted. I salute you and your comrades :handshake: .

Please be safe and thank the rest of the soldiers for all of us. Have a Merry Christmas and may the New Year bring you those fish that you are dreaming of.

Godspeed

Dave, glad you picked up on the Keating book, if you are motivated (and it sounds like you are) it will not take that long to get a handle on the basic techniques. PM me if you need an inexpensive set of downriggers, I have a pair of used swivel base Long arm Riviera units that I bought on Ebay and then never used them. See ya around on the board!

LTC Dave,

Welcome to the site Dave, and thank you for serving our country :yes: . May will be here before you know It....stay safe!

If you want to spend a day or two out on lake O when you return, Pm me. I'd be honored to have you aboard anytime.

Welcome To the site Dave, and as you already know this is an awesome site and I hope to meet you sometime on the Big-O

I would also like to thank you and your comrades for every you are doing :handshake: It wont be long and you will be reeling in the the Big one in your new boat

Anyways I wish you and your Comrades a safe and Merry Christmas

With all the invites you've been getting you won't even need a boat for at least a year. ;) Add my name to the list and you're more than welcome if you're around the Oswego area. Best Wishes during this Christmas Season to you and your buddies over there. We stand beside you all the way.

Thanks for all the welcome messages. It is guys like you who make this site what it is.

As for all the boat offers, I am humbled.

I would like to get the feel of my own boat, which I am just now getting a purchase set up to be ready when I finally get to leave all this sand behind. I will not confirm or decline any offers at this time, but will stay in touch with all, as a trip on a good working boat, and seeing how the more experienced rig their sets will probably pay big dividends when I go at it myself on my own boat.

Thanks again for all the thanks of service...Lots of guys over here who are as eager as me to get back home to family, friends, and fishing.

Dave,

First and foremost - A safe return form the sand and also- thank you for your service - helping to keep this great country what it is and allowing us to have the freedoms we have. You will find A LOT of retired/ex GI's on this board.

If you get the chance make a trip to the Niagara Bar area in the spring (May) it's awesome fishing.

You also have an invitation from us if you want a ride along to gain some experience.

Clarke

Dave: I can understand your anticipation of a good fishing trip when you return. My son just finished about 9 years in the Navy, most of which was aboard a forward deployed Carrier. He was very anxious to re-live some of his memories as a 12 year old in the late 80's pulling in massive salmon from the "power plant" to Sandy Pond. I fish out of Sandy Pond, which is just a few miles south of you. You are always welcome aboard my boat. I have a camp on Sandy Pond and could always use another person on board. Give me a shout when you return. Thank you for the sevrvice and STAY SAFE !!!

LRG355 (DESPERADO - 23` SPORTCRAFT)