Honeoye lake

Bluefin54

I literally just asked the same question that's where I'm planning to go for the opener I was originally going to go to Lake Erie but I heard theres ice chunks still I've only been to Honeoye once and I was casting to Shore with stick baits only Landing one walleye but about 10 Largemouth if I go I'm going to troll with all stick baits or spoons Erie dearies or harnesses going to have side planers and downriggers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Walleye is Honeoye gold. Here and there, I've caught them, but it's sure not Erie or even Oneida. She can be fickle. But there's always 12 inch largemouth to keep amused.

An Erie program on Honeoye might be a bit heavy handed. Honeoye may be the weediest lake on planet Earth (even this early in the season) and they lowered the limit to 15" because they run small there. If I had the gear for an Erie program, I'd be on Erie on opening night/day. That's just me though.

Edited by bosco
spelling error

It’s been a while since I’ve fished Honeoye but likely still fishes the same.  Usually pretty much a night bite early trolling plugs shallow.  Should be a weed line to work in daytime.  Lots of bass and panfish.  I used to fish it in May, after Memorial Day it got too busy for me.  At night you had to watch for “stealth” trollers without lights and docks.  Was never big on numbers but you could usually find a few eyes.  Living in Rochester area it was a close option for eyes.  Being small info was always limited and guys were tight lipped.  

1 hour ago, mr 580 said:

It’s been a while since I’ve fished Honeoye but likely still fishes the same.  Usually pretty much a night bite early trolling plugs shallow.  Should be a weed line to work in daytime.  Lots of bass and panfish.  I used to fish it in May, after Memorial Day it got too busy for me.  At night you had to watch for “stealth” trollers without lights and docks.  Was never big on numbers but you could usually find a few eyes.  Living in Rochester area it was a close option for eyes.  Being small info was always limited and guys were tight lipped.  

There's not anything here I would disagree with.

Somewhere on this board or on the ice fishing website a college kid was posting all of the results of the spawn on Honeoye from Mueller's place that was donated to the state. I think it was part of a comprehensive report but I can't find it.  A Brockport student did one too that is easily searchable on google.

Often it is an evening bite along with the largemouthes not to say that it can't happen mid day but more often later on  Often it is better than early morning even. As previously mentioned caution advised after dark esp in summer many recreational boaters are out there going like H without any lights and you can hear the beer cans clanking and hooping and hollering....very dangerous.

Edited by Sk8man

Eire was slow lots of logs fished 7pm to 1am landing only 1 fish slow start for erie was one of two boats out. Water needs to warm up ibay should be productive right now cast towards shore in certain spots fish stick baits super slow retrieve. Ibay is good for eyes they need to be bled out to taste good you will catch a lot of sheephead remeber state record was caught in ibay but was beat last year. I constantly catch sheeps over 10lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app