Wanted Looking for big old outboard

figured someone might have one tucked in the back of a barn or on the back of a soggy boat .. I’ve got a little mess around project and I’m looking for a 70-150hp outboard . I’d really like to get my hands on a classic Mercury “tower of power”  but I’m open to anything in that power range ..  needs to have power tilt . Doesn’t need to be turn key. Doesn’t need to run , just needs to not be smoked .  As long as I can jump the starter and check compression I don’t care as long as it’s complete .  Not looking to spend an arm and a leg , this is just a fun little project with my kids , a cool old classic boat. 

There is a special forum on i-boats dedicated to Mercury-Kiekhafer. There you will find a lot of people who still run those six cylinder tower of power monsters.They can direct you to project engines.

It seems to me that you have racing on your bucket list.

I’ve sent you a message duckman .

rolmops thanks for the heads up about the forums . I used to be real deep in classic boats but past few years have dumped all resources into fishing machines . Pulled a project off the back burner and trying to get it finished up this year . 

I'm looking at potentially buying a boat with this old Merc 100hp on it, has power tilt.  If I buy the boat, I'd be looking to sell this motor and re-power it with a newer 4 stroke.  I'm told the old Merc starts & runs, just has a slight hesitation at times.  Any interest?

36176592_10214853637553583_2654831023526772736_n.jpg

Edited by cinnamon fish

I have a 1988 johnson 150 I would be interested in selling if you want the baystar hydraulic steering ram I can throw that in too. If you're interested let me know.

EDIT: I have a set of controls for it too side mount and binnical take your choice.

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks guys , it all depends on price point . This is a play project so not looking to get super invested . 

Emergency - I’ll pass on the complete boat . My wife would probably start setting boats on fire if I brought another home .

cinnamon - that’s the idea I’m after , again it all depends what your looking to get out of it .

chas - price ?