Sandy Creek Cormorants

Maybe you all forget the "unauthorized harvest" undertaken by Ron Ditch et al in the Eastern Basin.  I spoke with an ECO who was involved with some shooting of shags off Galoo with a USF+WS permit, and he echoed what the "private" shooters said,  the birds are suckers for the first volley, after that they learn very fast and become very difficult to get nearby for a second round.   My ECO friend said they basically gave up quickly for lack of targets.  Egg oiling seems to be the way to go, even if it is not as dramatic.  When they started up around Snyder's Island on IBay, we of they stay out at Sandy, try to find out where they are going at night, you may be able to get them on the list if they can get in and get at eggs.  Also, DEC has their hands just as tied as everyone else's, this is totally USF+WS.  But try looking into permitted harvest in LA, they do a number on Aquaculture facilities there and the feds allow some pretty massive numbers to be killed.  Maybe that Senator we are paying to run around the country running for President can do something about them!

53 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

Maybe you all forget the "unauthorized harvest" undertaken by Ron Ditch et al in the Eastern Basin.  I spoke with an ECO who was involved with some shooting of shags off Galoo with a USF+WS permit, and he echoed what the "private" shooters said,  the birds are suckers for the first volley, after that they learn very fast and become very difficult to get nearby for a second round.   My ECO friend said they basically gave up quickly for lack of targets.  Egg oiling seems to be the way to go, even if it is not as dramatic.  When they started up around Snyder's Island on IBay, we of they stay out at Sandy, try to find out where they are going at night, you may be able to get them on the list if they can get in and get at eggs.  Also, DEC has their hands just as tied as everyone else's, this is totally USF+WS.  But try looking into permitted harvest in LA, they do a number on Aquaculture facilities there and the feds allow some pretty massive numbers to be killed.  Maybe that Senator we are paying to run around the country running for President can do something about them!

Just need some poor sap out there perch fishing you'll get your 50 bird limit pretty quick. I think most waterfowl birds are like that. Once they get whacked at in a certain location they don't come back for a while.

Nests of cormorants on Islands  in the upper Niagara river had their eggs oiled, birds in the trees were shot with 22 short cartridges. Their excrement was killing the trees. DEC was in charge for this.

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

Nests of cormorants on Islands  in the upper Niagara river had their eggs oiled, birds in the trees were shot with 22 short cartridges. Their excrement was killing the trees. DEC was in charge for this.

DEC may have accomplished this, but they had a permit from USF+WS.  The birds are federally protected.  And I recall hearing that USF+WS tightened up their policies last year.

Edited by Lucky13

Asking for a permit is a sure way not to get things done. I think that cormorants are as smart as crows if not more so. If they see a few of their kind hanging upside down from a roosting tree they may get the message . They will leave and with a little bit of luck they will move to the Canadian side of the lake where the French Canadians will see all their merde and turn them into dead birds.(just kidding)

Contact Ron Ditch about what happens when you do not get a permit.  And we all know that states cannot go rogue from the Feds, (except for harassing Trump and granting sanctuary to illegal immigrants. and …) 

After the east end shooting incident, they continued to colonize Galoo and the other islands, and the population only stabilized when DEC obtained the USF+WS permit and started oiling eggs. 

Edited by Lucky13