Salmon River 12/10/2008 w/ Chasin Tail Adventures

I took my first Drift Boat trip with Chasin Tail Adventures on Wednesday. I have never really steelhead fished other than the lifting I did when I was young and dumb. After the trip I had on Wednesday I am HOOKED! I would HIGHLY recommend this guide service. He knew all the holes to hit and does this EVERY DAY September-December.

For all you lake guys out there that LOVE to see a wire diver hit you will love the method used in a drift boat called "pluggin." It's a method of hanging your lures right in the face of a steelhead as you slowly drift down stream. Kinda like a back troll. The steelhead love this method!

OK, lets talk about the trip. We put the boat in at first light, and at the first spot Andy hands me the float rod. While he is telling me what to do and look for the float goes under. I lift up and "FISH ON" and very quickly "fish off!" I guess you have to set the hook, which is a tough thing to do with a 10' noodle rod. We fish a little more and nothing. We finally make it to a hole and we start whackin them. Much to my surprise in that hole I landed an Atlantic Salmon about 10 inches long. What a pretty fish! We go a little further and we do some more fish. Float fishing is fun, but I heard of this method called pluggin and I ask if we can do it. Once we got to a part of the river that Andy says was worthy of the method we deployed the rods. It didn't take long and we were 0 for 3. We get out of that hole and float fish for a while and then right before we end the day we plug another spot. We landed 2 real nice fish out of there using the pluggin method.

Total on the day was 7 for 13. Biggest was estimated around 9 or 9.5 pounds. The temp went from 40 to 25 throughout the day, which from my understanding is not the prime time for steelhead to eat.

Here are some pics:

The Boat:

DSC05849.jpg

The Guide:

DSC05866.jpg

My best three on the day:

DSC05865.jpg

DSC05848.jpg

DSC05846.jpg

Nice job ricky, looks like you guys had a great day! Nothing fights quite like a steelhead out of the Salmon River. Did you happen to find my wallet I lost while I was up there? :no::@