Cayuga troll

At 27 inches the average brown is thought to be about 7 lbs 13 ounces according to the chart in the DEC syllabus. I know they can vary upward from that but I don't believe it is a 10 lb brown. Pics (especially digital photos) can be quite deceptive. The chart offers a closer approximation but is not exact either...it is an average. Here is a pic of one that is exactly 10 lbs 1 oz. from  last year on Canandaigua which was about 30 inches. Note that the pics of them look pretty similar10lbbrown.thumb.jpg.7304c805dcedea08c6716023df6d4878.jpganandaigua

Edited by Sk8man

Caught this brown a few years ago and don't have a measured length but the newspaper will give you an idea of length. The fish weighed in at 11lb 5oz. 

Girth will play a big part in weight on these fish.

Brown Trout008.jpg

Brown Trout012.jpg

At 27 inches the average brown is thought to be about 7 lbs 13 ounces according to the chart in the DEC syllabus. I know they can vary upward from that but I don't believe it is a 10 lb brown. Pics (especially digital photos) can be quite deceptive. The chart offers a closer approximation but is not exact either...it is an average. Here is a pic of one that is exactly 10 lbs 1 oz. from  last year on Canandaigua which was about 30 inches. Note that the pics of them look pretty similar10lbbrown.thumb.jpg.7304c805dcedea08c6716023df6d4878.jpganandaigua
I really shouldn't say this but I forgot you were there and only a 30 inch fish can be 10lbs. We have caught a ton of browns maybe not as many as you have but girth plays a huge part... The pictures Cleary show that my Brown was much fatter than yours anyone can see that...

Sent from my LGL82VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Caught this brown a few years ago and don't have a measured length but the newspaper will give you an idea of length. The fish weighed in at 11lb 5oz. 
Girth will play a big part in weight on these fish.
571212872_BrownTrout008.thumb.jpg.8ef0625b9fdfd4f43c1f1d96c3e30443.jpg
1975688502_BrownTrout012.thumb.jpg.2787d0e897a95cd3637ae88d20eff05a.jpg
Newspaper only measures at 23.5 inches the way it is laying in your photo. So I would say your fish is about 28 to 29 inches long. One Hell of a fish. Girth does alot!

Sent from my LGL82VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Geez I wasn't trying to dispute your comment.....just trying to give folks a way to judge approximate weight on one. part of why mine looks slimmer is the way I'm holding it too which is part of my point also about estimating from photos. I wasn't trying to be some damned expert or smart azz I was trying to offer a way to estimate that possibly some other folks may not be aware of. I obviously know that girth is a factor in weight as is length and that the combination of them can vary length is merely a way to estimate and as I said it was an average.

44 minutes ago, lyteline said:

Rule of thumb for Finget Lakes catch and release fish...25 " is 5# and a pound for every inch over that...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I believe in this for Lakers and bows but its irrelevant for browns and even landlocks for that matter. Once they hit 6lbs they tend to add girth quicker than length

• Like 1

marinerak87 - I guess I should apologize for being too quick with the wording of my first post because now that I look at it it does appear to question your judgement and that was really not my intent. I was trying to illustrate a) that pics can be deceiving, and b) there is a way to estimate average weight based on length but these examples provided basically show that length is not the only variable. Some pics allow the belly to flop down while others can be compressed by the holding method and may influence judgment about weight estimates. Estimating chinook salmon another variable comes into the process the thickness of the back area combined with in the girth and going by just the length and overall appearance can be quite deceiving. During derbies I have seen 28 lb Chinooks estimated as possible 35 to 40 pound fish when rushed to the weigh station:lol:.  The bottom  line is only a certified scale weight will make an accurate final determination. To underscore the above examples of variability of weight with girth I offer this example of a Canandaigua brown of known length and certified weight (derby winner) that shows compression of the belly by holding, distance from the fish when pic taken, and that total length can be deceptive in coming up with a weight estimate. The length is 32 inches while the weight was 16.18 lbs.

DSC07569cx.JPG

Edited by Sk8man

Hey cdgn looks like ours were "siblings" :lol: Hope we aren't creating more congestion than is already on the lake by showing them :smile::yes:

• Like 1