which downrigger to buy??

Im in the market for new downriggers . I thought I had it narrowed down to cannon or scotty, but the magnum metalz downrigger really have my attention.

Wanted to get some input and pros and cons if anybody is willing to share?

Back a bit there was some discussion on the magnum metalz but it died off .

Maybe this is a ford/chevy  argument but would like to hear your thoughts.

Thank you in advance,

Chuck 

I have a pair of cannons mag 10 going on 20 years old now only problem I have had was cords rotted but they replaced them with a new style that have held up well. I have a new pair of mag 10 that are 2 years old I don’t like the pulley on the end of boom cable keeps coming off getting stuck going to change to old style. Overall they have performed well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I just went through the same thing.  I have run scotty’ and cannons.  I opted to rig my new boat with magnum metalz.  I spent a lot of time and research and I to go with them.  I like the all metal frame, the configuration options, and the low profile.  I was willing to give on the auto stop .  I really loved my cannons too but for my liking, I chose the magnum metalz’.  Not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other, just giving you info as to what I did

i thought the new style boom end om the Cannons were to prevent cable jumping off pulley

So did I but they are worse than the old ones you have to make sure you always have tension on the cable or they jump every time

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm more of a weekend warrior- scottys manual riggers have worked well for me. Someday i'll get the fancy electric ones. At least i get a good arm workout...

In any event, i have a few things from Cannon and like their designs most times, so when i do upgrade, i will probably go Cannon. But i would also like to hear what some of the charter capts have to say as they use them far more than i do. 

Edited by Offshore IV

The price point on the Metalz for the quality is spot on. The swivels bases and rod holders are as smooth as it gets . Own 3 with the small risers and mid length booms , opted for 300 of cable and faster motor , the slower one would of been fine.The owner was bought out by Traxstech years ago and started up again. I also have 3 Traxstech on the primary boat which IMHO are the best ,but with the swivels etc your close to spending as much for 3 Metalz as one Traxstech would cost you. If money was no object I would go Traxstech all day .