Blanked on I Bay

bosco

Hi Bosco,
From old threads on here, eye fishing doesn't pick up on I bay until mid summer?
Linked to bait fish?
Not sure about this but if you look back that is what some of the regulars have said. What time of day did you fish?

Thanks for the report.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I go at night. And, yes...usually around the 3rd week in May it starts to pick up. Then it dies a couple weeks into June with what I think is an Alewife spawn. I'd say 50% of opening nights on I Bay I've gotten blanked. The other times I've gotten only 1 fish (but one was a 9 lber).   I still try though. It's kind of an annual rite. Yesterday I was trying areas I'd never tried or even thought of trying. Hence, the gar. I think I got into a pocket they were spawning in.

I'm still not sure if they're migrating. I think they're mostly year round resident fish. They're mostly stocked but I never hear of any taken through the ice. That's just the general pattern I've experienced. Last year was brutal though. I didn't get my first eye in the boat until after July 4th.

All these years I've thought it was Alewives but I've seen them posting signs at the launch about Cisco research the last couple seasons. The bait they've spit up in my livewell look like Alewives and I've foul hooked a few during the June spawn that I'm pretty sure are Alewives. I've been told that this the reason I-bay eyes need to be bled and extra care taken during cleaning...because they taste like the fish they eat if you don't.

I HATE trolling but that's what I figured as well so I slow trolled a diver on a hand line and worked up and down the drops. Saw a lot of hooks on the graph but no takers. I threw a slip bobber over the side while a tried some casting as well. Generally I like to keep bumping along with the electric motor to cover water so the bobber option isn't a first option for me unless I've got a great looking screen and want to stay put and throw a number of options at them. However, they just put a 5MPH restriction on the bay so that really hampers my ability to get from spot to spot with any kind of efficiency. I might just hang it up for another week or two....or trailer the boat to Otisco and troll in Justin's wake. That'll up my odds significantly, I'm sure ;)

2 minutes ago, bosco said:

I HATE trolling but that's what I figured as well so I slow trolled a diver on a hand line and worked up and down the drops. Saw a lot of hooks on the graph but no takers. I threw a slip bobber over the side while a tried some casting as well. Generally I like to keep bumping along with the electric motor to cover water so the bobber option isn't a first option for me unless I've got a great looking screen and want to stay put and throw a number of options at them. However, they just put a 5MPH restriction on the bay so that really hampers my ability to get from spot to spot with any kind of efficiency. I might just hang it up for another week or two....or trailer the boat to Otisco and troll in Justin's wake. That'll up my odds significantly, I'm sure ;)

Damn, I was wondering when that 5mph would come this year...I figured it would be any day now judging by the water level at Mayer's...

Trolling isn't casting for sure, but can be the only viable option in many situations.  Try working a bottom bouncer while running your electric.  It's less like trolling because the rod is in your hand and it allows you to follow some structure.  Kevin Legg is an expert on this up on the st Lawrence, and might have some tips for you.  You can do a subtle version on jerk trolling with the right diving stick bait also and Ive had good luck doing this on my way in on tough casting nights.  Drifting and jigging is another good play.  There is almost always a way to find a style you enjoy that will give you some action.  Just takes patience and persistence.  Ive taken quite a few guys out and taught them techniques to target walleye where it's difficult, as in targeting eyes that are working spawning alewives. Once you learn how to fish for them over bait it literally works anywhere that has alewives and walleye from Sandy pond to the several of the finger lakes to a few places in PA.

Thanks man. All great tips. I'll keep working it. Eventually they come around to tried and true methods and locations. I see it as a sort of long game challenge though figuring out this particular body of water in terms of getting on the bite a little earlier in the year and staying on it later into the fall. I'm just grateful to be able to be out there for the challenge (and the reward).

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:36 AM, Traveling Circus said:

What is the primary forage fish for walleyes in the bay? Is there ever anything in their stomachs? I've done a fair amount of perch fishing in the Bay, and never caught an incidental walleye....... several browns, but never a walleye.

The bay is LOADED with gizzard shad.  The walleye feast on them mostly except when the alewife are in. 

• Thanks 1

That HUGE population of shad is also likely why no one catches them through the ice, I see those little buggers every time I drill a hole out there in the winter. 

With the cold spring, a lot of the eyes may have still been up in the creek for the opener.  

The fish are shallow right now. In a month or so they get much more active in the deeper spots., These were from last summer on a good night trolling stickbaits.

eyeballs.jpg

Yup....and I'll go there. But I can leave my house, boat in tow, and be launched and fishing in 15 minutes under normal circumstances. Now it's a 15 minute drive all the way around the bay to the Webster launch plus a 5MPH turtle swim to my spots. Oh....I'll do it, but not without complaining a little. : )

Bosco I hear you...My friend has his boat at South Point, at the south end of I Bay.  If he idles to the lake it takes him 45 minutes...Each way.

I know the restriction says no more than 5mph/idle speed up to 500' from shore, but I am pretty sure if you stuck to the middle of the bay you would be more than 500' from either shore and could open it up...

Although most people watching you wouldn't think it was ok and would probably be screaming at you...;-)

The limit on I Bay is 25 mph, and 5 mph within 200 feet of shore normally.  You could open it up, but you would be liable for any shoreline damages you caused, and the Sherriff is likely to be " more observant", as will be the property owners.  And you would give a whole bunch of other boater/fishers a bad name.

1 hour ago, Lucky13 said:

The limit on I Bay is 25 mph, and 5 mph within 200 feet of shore normally.  You could open it up, but you would be liable for any shoreline damages you caused, and the Sherriff is likely to be " more observant", as will be the property owners.  And you would give a whole bunch of other boater/fishers a bad name.

Right I'm not saying I would do it personally, I actually kind of enjoy the bay right now with the 5mph speed limit, makes it 100% fishable currently...

Edited by 1lastweekend
finish post...
  • Like 1