Mounting Invader Double Planer Mast

I obtained this Invader double mast years ago but never mounted it on the boat.  It came without a base or backer plate and looks like the company is long gone.  Does anyone know if mounts are compatible between brands or does anyone happen to have an Invader mount/backplate kicking around?  The third photo shows the short threaded pope that came with it for engaging a base plate.IMG_20190429_155225.thumb.jpg.5810bda1b06ac5397ff7dcb4819a5669.jpgIMG_20190429_155237.thumb.jpg.5e0888eb0a5dc00562218c2d92d72c9d.jpg

IMG_20190429_155253.jpg

Find a nut the fits those threads. Weld it to a plate drill 4 holes. There's your plate. All invader products were made revolving around the auto business. The father and 3 sons were into the field of making automotive products and the 1 son loved fishing. So he made all this fishing paraphernalia. Its top notch bullet proof items were selling faster than he could make them. Long story short the father passed away and the brothers told him to forget about the fishing ideas and join in on the family's buisness or find another job. So that ended the invader era.

That looks like a standard pipe nipple.  Try checking home depot / lowes for a threaded flange.  Standard 150# flanges should have 4 bolt holes, although they're not spread real far apart.  You're probably going to want to through bolt that with some 1/4" aluminum plate on the bottom side of your deck and/or mount the flange to a piece of steel/aluminum to make a larger flanged area on top.

Edited by Garrett
Typo

40 minutes ago, Garrett said:

That looks like a standard pipe nipple.  Try checking home depot / lowes for a threaded flange.  Standard 150# flanges should have 4 bolt holes, although they're not spread real far apart.  You're probably going to want to through bolt that with some 1/4" aluminum plate on the bottom side of your deck and/or mount the flange to a piece of steel/aluminum to make a larger flanged area on top.

yes you can get a flange that it will screw into. the backing plate should be somewhat larger than the flange as most of the pressure will be on the backing plate.

That is a standard nipple. Looks like black pipe to me and definitely not something you want to mount your mast with. It will rust out quickly, and the threads aren't very strong even when new. I think the previous owner just put that in there as an idea, but your mast looks like it will accept a pipe size which is bigger in diameter than that 3/4" nipple, and I would bet the original mount had an aluminum post that inserted into the female end of your mast.

If you can't locate an original mount, you should consider finding a metal fabricator and have him make a simple flange with an aluminum post welded to it that will fit fairly snuggly into the base of your mast. It should be fairly inexpensive for them to do and they may have an even better solution for you. When you mount the flange, make sure to use a good backer plate as well.

Edited by Tyee II

3 hours ago, Tyee II said:

That is a standard nipple. Looks like black pipe to me and definitely not something you want to mount your mast with. It will rust out quickly, and the threads aren't very strong even when new. I think the previous owner just put that in there as an idea, but your mast looks like it will accept a pipe size which is bigger in diameter than that 3/4" nipple, and I would bet the original mount had an aluminum post that inserted into the female end of your mast.

If you can't locate an original mount, you should consider finding a metal fabricator and have him make a simple flange with an aluminum post welded to it that will fit fairly snuggly into the base of your mast. It should be fairly inexpensive for them to do and they may have an even better solution for you. When you mount the flange, make sure to use a good backer plate as well.

I checked in with Tony at Great Lakes Planers and sent him a bunch of pictures of what I have.  He's pretty comfortable that he can get me set up.  

Thanks all for the help.  After a couple trips with Chowder seeing Planers in action I'm looking forward to giving it a go on my boat.