Repower with mercury 150hp four stroke

mullenj

I’m thinking of replacing mercury 125hp two stroke with a new merc150hp four stroke. Looking for other folks who have upgraded from older two stroke motors with new four stroke.  Specifically interested in experience with the new mercury OB.  My boat is Trophy 2002WA, rated for up to 175 hp so additional 80 lbs. on transom shouldn’t be an issue.  Any insights are welcome. Thnx

A couple things come to mind. The change from 2 stroke and not having to add oil to the gas is a plus, reduction of fuel fumes, maybe more torque at the prop? The change from 125 Hp to 150 may not be as big an increase as expected  in performance as far as speed etc.if it were me I'd be biting the bullet and going for the max HP if you use a kicker for trolling and want the big motor for cruising and getting from place to place. Most four strokes are quite economical on gas and probably the difference there wouldn't be huge from 150 to 175 I wouldn't think and probably better than the 125 two stroke and the engine quieter.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

I replaced 2 - 97 merc 150 2 strokes with 2015 150 4 strokes.  You won't be disappointed.  Didnt lose any speed and they're a lot better on fuel consumption.   Easy to maintain if you decide to do it yourself. 

I replaced a 90 Evinrude w/ 90 Merc 4 Stroke Command Thrust. Love the fuel economy. Command Thrust gives you a larger lower unit ( bigger rudder). Smartcraft Gauges give you instant read engine diagnostic (engine water temp, oil temp, trim angle, rpm, hrs etc.) PLUS Troll Control..allows you to adjust engine RPM in gear from 550 to 1000 in 10 RPM increments.

End result is my 9.9 sat in the garage and trolled on the 90 all last season!