Last year my season ended August 4th with a phone call when I was at the Oak letting me know my mother had passed just didn't feel fishing after that.

This spring I put my third Scotty on and my son did a bunch of work on the boat. Got my spoons, flies and everything thing else I needed ordered for the upcoming season.  Called a good buddy and we decided to fish spring LOC,salmon slam and 1 k a day. Put in my PTO for the summer, plan was a total of 5 weeks of Salmon fishing throughout the summer. Totally psyched for the season.

Did 69 hours at work and get woke up at 4am with back and leg pain April 28th. Get put on steroids and after 4 days with no relief from leg and back pain provider orders an MRI, results came back Friday. No signal from l3- l4 which basically means it is a flat tire. Severe stenosis and spinal cord compression 2 bulging discs and few other minor issues.I've already had several surgeries including a fusion with cages and triple fusion last one about 13 years ago, been pain free since then. Have an appointment with a neurosurgeon on the 14th.

Called my buddy this Sunday and cancelled next week. I don't know if I will be able to fish this year or when I will be able to work again.

My advice to everyone is that morning you wake up and say to your self should I go fishing,? GO! 

Because you never know. 

• Like 6

So sorry to hear Charlie. Being one of the more younger posters here, your post reminds me of what my grandfather used to say all the time which is that time flies by and before you know it you're physically declining. I've been blessed with good health and I pray that you find the proper treatment, and that it is not serious, to get you back on track, or should I say, the lake!

2 words "Paul Maurer !

585-581-6790

The best Neurosurgeon I ever met.

[That is from a Chiropractor]

Get well !

• Like 1

Ive had more serious surgeries on my back a lot of what you have got!! I crushed everything from tail bones to L6-7 complete rebuild of the spine. All artificial vertebrae and plates inside and out, with a cage, my body rejected the metal so no fusion. Rely on the apparatus to keep me upright. Learn to walk again took 5 years of surgeries and pain out the ass 4 broken ribs 2 of which went into my left lung. Keep your head up and be positive. I know its hard especially after losing a loved one. Things today are way less invasive than back then. I'm close to 55 so it's a SOB. LIFE AIN'T FAIR!!! but don't give in or up!!! PAP.

I feel your pain ,bro 

3 herniated discs and stenosis that flares up every so often . On my back for 6 weeks a,few summers ago . In pain for 2 months straight Nov Dec . 

Came close to surgery but healed back up .

Went to a great chiropractor Jan . Fixed me up . 

Stay positive and don't over medicated . Watch your diet . Take the refined sugar out of your diet as it in flames your joints and loose the flab as that will help dramatically.  The Dash diet . But it really is a lifestyle change . I lost 20# and feel way better .

Good luck 

Amen to enjoying everything you've got while you've got it. All my fishing buddies are laid up with one malady or another. One nearly died from AFIB, then an infection after neck fusion surgery. Another has prostate cancer and another has colon cancer and other assorted goodies. My wife gets seasick. I see solo fishing trips in my future, but I'm thankful for my health and the great fishing at home on Lake Erie and my summer trips to Ontario! Hang in there and get back out there when you can.

• 3 months later...

Well it was over. Ended up at the University of Rochester neurosurgery happy I left my area. Did physical therapy cortisone injections etc with no relief. Over the last couple weeks things have been really bad. Surgery is scheduled for 9/25. Along with the other issues I have a cyst in the spine. They have to remove hardware from the triple fusion to remove the cyst and do 2 laminectomies. Don't want to have more surgery but at this point I can barely stand up or walk. 

I feel bad for the Salmon because I'll be back with a vengeance next season. 

Edited by Charlie P

id get a second opinion before surgery.i had a bad l5 while it was a pain i did proper therapy and it did heal with no surgery Years ago I had surgery because I had no good therapy at the time and it took a lot longer to heal.

Best of luck Charlie P. Truly hope things improve for you. I'm sure a lot of folks on here have had serious back issues (including me) and fully sympathize with your situation. Your comment regarding enjoying things while healthy is not something to be taken for granted. Life is full of "ups and downs" but health issues can really bring things into perspective. We sometimes get caught up in the moment and place too much emphasis in our "toys" etc. but in the final analysis we are all "renters" not owners as we can't take the stuff with us and the memories we have of our "adventures" and times out there with our friends and family are what really count....something never to be taken for granted.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1