Bitter sweet

A week ago I went back up on the hill to revisit a tracking job I had on a buck I lost last bow season on my property. I spent half one night and more than half the next day looking for him after the shot. I had a good blood trail for a couple hundred yards then nothing. Most of my neighbors call me when they loose a deer cause most likely I will find it I cause I've been successfully tracking critters for 50years . This one I did not, well I knew it wasn't over and went back on the mission looking for light colored leaves knowing it would be from deer hair scattered we're he layed. That's what I found at first then 40 yrds away there's the head and he's a beauty I had him aged he's deemed to be at least 4 1/2 . IMG_20190428_112051144.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you found it. Good thing coyotes don’t eat antler. I lost a doe this fall that I 10 ringed with a perfect shot. The neighbor found her 500 yards away.  Arrow must have found a gap between vital organs and did not cut enough. You do this long enough it will happen 

• 4 months later...

A week ago I went back up on the hill to revisit a tracking job I had on a buck I lost last bow season on my property. I spent half one night and more than half the next day looking for him after the shot. I had a good blood trail for a couple hundred yards then nothing. Most of my neighbors call me when they loose a deer cause most likely I will find it I cause I've been successfully tracking critters for 50years . This one I did not, well I knew it wasn't over and went back on the mission looking for light colored leaves knowing it would be from deer hair scattered we're he layed. That's what I found at first then 40 yrds away there's the head and he's a beauty I had him aged he's deemed to be at least 4 1/2 . IMG_20190428_112051144.thumb.jpeg.524a6591df47fa2db4b508c2aa742b24.jpeg

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That’s a shame... great you found him a year later intact!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ugh. Tough to describe the feeling when you finally put your hands on a deer like that in that scenario. Meat was donated, but you now have that head forever and will be something to share around the campfire. I admire your persistence !

• Like 1