2019 Lake Ontario Challenge Cup

Once again the Lake Ontario Challenge Cup will be up for grabs this season. This Cup is awarded yearly and the winners team name attached. This will continue as the overall prize for the 3 Pro division 2 day Pro Am events. Utilizing a unique scoring system, the team that fares the best over the 6 days of competition will be hoisting the Cup. The Niagara County(Skip Hartman memorial) Pro Am, The Oswego (Kevin Davis memorial) Pro Am, and the Sodus Pro Am are the 3 events and there are no throw away scores. The 3 events have pledged financial support and in conjunction with the $100 entry per team(collected at the Niagara Captains meeting) will pay back 70% to the winner and 30% to the runner up. The Cup will be awarded at the Sodus Pro Am awards ceremony. See everyone soon.     

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder- I will be collecting the Cup entry money at the Niagara Pro Am Captains mtg, Thurs May 30th 6pm at the Wilson firehall. $100 per team. A big thank you to the Niagara “Skip Hartman memorial” Pro Am, the Oswego “Kevin Davis memorial” Pro Am, the Sodus Pro Am, and Krenzer marine for keeping this tradition alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Speaking with several teams in it last year (and some who were not), the "unique scoring system" was questioned without much resolve other than being told "it is a complicated scoring system based on number of variables", but it was never shared. I think this needs to be clarified, or better yet changed to a more simple scoring system like most other series events. I'm usually not one to complain and love to compete against the best on the lake, but it needs to be fair and clearly laid out for the competing teams. Last year we all thought we knew who the contenders were going into the Sodus event and then out of the blue another team (that didn't even weigh-in for one of the days in the Niagara Pro-Am and placed near last in that event) took the award leaving many unanswered questions and a sour taste for some teams since the scoring system was not disclosed from the start nor once questioned at the end. Based on the results last year I believe the weighting of some of the variables are unbalanced/incorrectly weighed and should be reviewed, otherwise go to a straight scoring system that is easy for everyone to understand and doesn't leave room for questionable results. 

Edited by Finders Keepers

Tim,

Thanks for posting.  There are MANY variables: size of field, placing versus others by day and by event, winning an event, etc......When this model was adopted, it was done so in the spirit of a NASCAR scoring system - that is how it was first explained to us.

EXAMPLE - DAY ! NIAGARA

1st place - 100 pts

2nd place - 97 pts

3rd place - 94 pts

etc.....

The same scoring model is then used for Day 2 AND for the entirety of the event.  There are bonus points for winning an event and finishing higher in a bigger field.

Years ago, it was as simple as adding your total points for each day fished in all cup eligible events.  Said another way, if you DIDN'T weigh you took a zero.  We miss this "simple" scoring system.

I'm sure Vince can chime in and give a more detailed answer.

Dex

Team Thrillseeker

Dex - The Great Lakes Special Events Cups are scored on a similar system with extra points generated for larger fields and placing in the top-3. However they have it all laid out so there are no questions. The current Lake Ontario Challenge Cup scoring system is not. It would also be nice to see the point spreads before and after each event, as well as the full scoring system. 

I have nothing to do or say about the current scoring system. I was fine with adding the scores the old way. I do however have complete confidence in VOLUNTEER Matt LeClair managing this newer scoring system which was adopted along the way. I will say I prefer lakewide series events that use all scores and events from both the East and West ends. Tim I dont think I would be publicly belly aching about now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There's no belly aching here Vince, and I also think a lakewide cup should include both east and west end events. However, I would like to know how the cup is scored if my team (and many others who have wondered) are going to enter into the race. So I am asking, what is the scoring system by which this coveted cup is scored by? I also feel Matt does a great job orchestrating the Sodus Pro-Am, however with regards to the cup, I know of no other event whereby the players aren't privy 100% to how the competition is scored before they enter, and since registration is this Thu I am asking now...

Edited by Finders Keepers

The scoring system has never been private and posted here in the past. The scoring is calculated by the following:

Day1, Day2 & Final placement each have their own points and are scored by placement in the field(1st -100, 2nd-98 and so on done to 60 points which is the lowest a team will get)... in addition each day you get 12 fish you will get 2 bonus points.... you also get bonus points for final placement (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd)...so you will have three different scores added together along with your bonus points.

The system does have its complexities but it is not an overly complicated. What it does is give points based on consistency of each day fished so in the end the best team rises to the top.

Scores are calculated after each event and shared with the committee as a second check.... they will then be posted online here on LOU and at www.sodusproam.com

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Matt!!  I KNOW you're 100% committed to fairness and transparency - all we can ask for....

BTW, this change in scoring happened well before Matt took the reigns.  Your work is MUCH appreciated Matt!!

Dex

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...