Proposed Trout & Salmon Stamp

L&M

Does anyone kn any more about this? I've tried to find the actual proposal and can't find anything on it.

Gov. Paterson's proposed state budget for next year includes new fees for anglers

Posted by David Figura/The Post-Standard December 16, 2008 11:16AM

I just ahold of the Gov. David Paterson's proposed budget for next year and this is what I can tell you at this point:

The spending plan includes:

- Establishing a new trout and salmon stamp. The new stamp would cost $10 and require that all persons fishing for trout and salmon to possess a stamp in addition to the standard fishing license fee.

- Establishing a new marine fishing license. Establishes a new marine fishing license at cost of $19 for state residents,a nd $40 for out-of-state individuals. The marine fishing license would also serve as a registry of New York marine anglers and would fulfill requirements of the National Saltwater Angler Registry and State Exemption Program.

Nothing was mentioned about the Reynold's Game Farm and the state's pheasant hunting, apart from Saturday's press release that the farm would close and that its remaining birds would be processed and delivered to the Food Bank.

I have calls out.. Stay tuned.

The NYS government is broken. They can't understand that the budget, staff & programs need to be greatly reduced & or pared down/eliminated. Their answer is always to tax us more. Any business knows how to survive by downsizing, austerity, elimination of waste, and shedding unprofitable endeavours. The political leaders will not make any cost vs benefit evaluations of their pet projects, example the linking of the Erie Canal to the NYS Thruway, what a joke, this waterway costs millions to maintain & only a handful of people use it (count on the Thruway tolls to continue to skyrocket). They could start by eliminating all of the politicians, except the Gov., minority & majority leaders because they decide everything, & no one else has any say. That alone would make a big change in the cost of government. This is a beautiful state, that is being crippled by the bone heads in NYS government. Too many give away programs!!!!! Too many benefits for people who don't work. People move into NY just to collect from the massive benefit structure/programs put in place to insure that the current leadership stays in power. Essentially, these programs insure re-election of the same machine every time. So, here we are in the toilet again, & we are facing a new round of taxes that we all cannot afford!!! Not to mention the unqualified Senators past & wanna be! The candidates I vote for rarely get elected.

This is the first I have heard about this. What a bunch of bullchit! Damn Democrats at ti again with their taxes. This state is ridiculous, and the freebies need to stop! However, until the republicans find a way to win over NY (Which will probably never happen) this is the chit we will have to deal with.

Hank,

We all look forward to whatever you find!

hi folks im you captian and ther is just a few more things to check before your relaxing day on the water ,Trout stamp,Salmon stamp,GAS surcharge,bait stamp, fishing pole tax,downrigger fee,lead weight cleanup tax,launch fee,pulloutfee,parking fee,trolling tax ,and of course the netting surcharge,oh and if you want to keep your catch there will be a added on charge by the inch...............now you blowboats over there you can pass for free,were just trying to tax the guys who add to the local economy.

YT For president :P you have my vote :clap: I pay $50 for my Maine licence and now I will pay $ 50 for new york I think New Hampshire will be next..Maybe they should have a Golf stamp and a baseball stamp and a football stamp and a tennis stamp. Maybe they should have a stamp just to fill your car with gas :rofl: I think NOT I think we have enough stamps thank you :no::no::no:

I moved here from Indiana this past year. They have had a trout stamp out there for quite some time. It is not cool, but unfortunately people are used to it there now. HOWEVER, the taxes in Indiana are unbelievably low compared to NYS. The taxes here in New York are outrageous! and now I'm even going to get taxed for drinking regular soda???? :no:

I'm setting myself up for a bashing here but you guys sound like a bunch of old farts complaining about the government and how 10 bucks is going to break your bank account. If it takes 10 bucks to insure the trout and salmon stocking programs remain in place I'm all for it. PA did the same thing years ago to support their steelhead stocking programs. The flip side could be that we don't pay anymore money and they cut back or eliminate the stocking program. I don't think any of us would care for that.

I have no gripe about a tax if its going for improving that certain program, but look at other things the govt. taxes us for to pay for programs not related to it. Someone mentioned the thruway tolls above to help offset canal projects. What about ATV registrations in NY? I cant find a damn place to ride around here. Closest place is over an hour away. Until very recently you paid tax on gas you put in your boat and none of that was going towards marine projects. It all went to the roads, and the people who sit on the guard rail when they fix them.

I'm setting myself up for a bashing here but you guys sound like a bunch of old farts complaining about the government and how 10 bucks is going to break your bank account. If it takes 10 bucks to insure the trout and salmon stocking programs remain in place I'm all for it. PA did the same thing years ago to support their steelhead stocking programs. The flip side could be that we don't pay anymore money and they cut back or eliminate the stocking program. I don't think any of us would care for that.

Yeah, they'll take those dedicated funds and put them in the Conservation Fund, and then turn around and deduct the same amount from the General Fund that used to go to the Conservation fund. In other words, Albany will use this stamp money to replace DEC budget, not add to it. End result being no additional money for the DEC and more of our money pilfered for Albany to mismanage.

If I had any belief at all that this would help fund the DEC and our fisheries programs, I'd be all for it, but this is #$%&* New York @$&* State. It's another cash grab, plain and simple.

Sorry Keith, this is New York State, don't take ANYTHING they do at face value and don't EVER trust them to do the right thing. I'm talking Albany here, not the DEC.

Tim

:no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no::no: :no: :no::no::no::no:

(Thanks Billy V)

This whole thing smells bad!! :@:@:@:@

Hunters and Fishermen already pay for 66% of the NYSDEC Budget. A major New York State Department/Entity that benefits all New Yorkers and others. And then, the same folks who pay for the 66% also pay into the other 34%, by way of the general fund. (see for instance: http://www.outdoorliaisons.com/licensefee.htm).

Its a giant rip off. Take Hunting: As hunters we are doing the state a great service in managing the deer herd. You could make the argument that hunters should'nt have to pay a dime and in fact we should be paid to help us cover our expenses.

As fishermen we already paying alot. Again fishermen are doing a service to the entire state in helping to manage the resource. Without fishermen to keep the salmonids and bait fish in balance what would happen? Think of the lost revenue due to massive alewife die-offs on the beaches as happened during the years before the introduction of Pacific Salmon in Lake Ontario.

Aside from licence fees we pay 10 to 11 percent on the cost of our equipment through the Pittman Robertson Act and Dingell Johnson Act (11 percent excise tax on rifles, shotguns and ammunition and 10 percent tax on fishing tackle, handguns and archery equipment). I have no problem with it myself since it all goes back to the resource.

But, additionally we pay 8 percent sales tax on the the retail cost!!!

Although many can afford to pay the extra licence fee, what about older fishermen, the retired and the young who are already strapped for cash. How about the working man with two jobs stuggling to raise a family and just making it. Its just not fair and its clear to me that in our society those that attempt to work hard and be self sufficient and not get into debt are having to pay for those that can't or don't even want to try.

New York State is a beautiful place but its government is a bloated mess.

The Pa stamp that Keith was talking about did not go for steelhead alone, it went for the trout stocking program as a whole. I have purchased 2 since they came out with them, the only reason I bought them was to take the kids on a weekend of trout

fishing. I WILL NOT purchase another Pa. fishing license as long as I can drive to NYS. The stocking program down here sucks to put it lightly, stocking a put and take

stream with fish that are just barely legal, the kids don't even enjoy that. I wouldn't eat them either, they are soft and mushy, even with the cold water. I'll gladly give NYS the 10 bucks for a Trout and Salmon stamp. I'm not saying that I'll like it, but if it goes for the stocking program it'll be a little easier to swallow.

Splitshot115