Proposed Trout & Salmon Stamp

L&M

I just hope it doesn't negatively impact the charter captains.. With the economy the way it is, the last thing you needs is out of state fisherman or residents that buy a 3 day liscence to go out on a weekend charter get wacked another $10 bucks..

Doesn't sound like a lot, but for a party of four, its $40 on top of everything else they spend...

I don't know, seems unfair when you see all the other millions of dollars that are clearly wasted

Done Bob, thanks. I also emailed the Governor.

Here's a link to our wonderful Governor's plan: http://publications.budget.state.ny.us/ ... udget.html

I haven't read the entire document yet, but I'm not seeing where the money they'll be raising through all these new surcharges will be spent.

You really can't blame the Governor too much for this one. He asked the legislators to make cuts multiple times last year and they always came up short. They also rejected his proposals for cuts or reduced them. The additional taxes and fees are to make up for the lost revenue from the layoffs on wall street and the banking industry. He has dug his heels in on rasing the income tax which a lot of the clowns in Albany wanted to do.

To be honest with the whole state in an uproar because of the economic downturn fighting the Trout and Salmon stamp seems like it will be a difficult battle to win. I think what we have to focus on is to make sure that the stocking programs remain in place at high levels. When push comes to shove funding fishing programs takes a back seat to closing more hospitals, schools, and prisons. If things get really bad they could stop stocking anything.

Thanks Bob I sent a email to my assemblyman.

rail bird, I just don't think sticking fisherman with another $10 tax is going to solve anything. If it was needed by the resource I would jump on the bandwagon as would most everybody here. But the request did not originate from the biologists but the politicians to get more money into the general fund. New Yorkers already pay the second highest taxes in the country. :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Its a matter of principle, government has gotten too big and must cut spending rather than tax us more. The working people are being tapped out.

The state in which residents pay the most in combined state, local and federal taxes, per capita, is Connecticut (38.3%), followed by New York (37.1%), New Jersey (35.6%) and Nevada (35.2%). Oklahoma residents pay the least (27.8%), followed by those in Alabama (28.0%) and Alaska (28.1%).

source:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Ta ... Taxes.aspx

I sure can blame the Governor. Matter of fact I fully blame him and all of the politicians who've selfishly put our entire economy in this situation. If we don't voice our concerns over these types of issues, we'll never have another opportunity to because they'll take away these programs and it'll be years before we see them again, if ever. And in my opinion, these additional fees are simply put there to push his DEC budget cuts off on the sportsman. I read somewhere that he wants to cut $91.8 million dollars out of the DEC budget. These new fees are simply a way to help offset those cuts. I personally don't want to pay any more of my hard earned money to the crooks that run our Government. How about asking the politicians to take a pay cut? That'll never happen. Their Armani suits, big houses and Mercedes Benz's are far too important to them. These additional fees are going to do nothing but discourage people from enjoying the outdoors. I'm sure those of us who operate charter businesses will feel the impact. I, for one, feel the need to voice my concern.

When the ESLO contest was on years ago, I would count 400 boats on the Niagara Bar. Lately there have been less than a quarter of those numbers. There are a lot of good 24' boats for sale at bargain prices. Half the guys I see fishing are geezers, like me, who get the $5 license deal. If salmon fishing is your agenda and you want to keep it, then you better get on board with the program. Our "house of cards" government has collapsed and there is no program that will not be shut down. The pheasant farms are done, next are the fish farms.

Oh man, don't get me going on the pheasant farm....I live near there and know a couple of guys who are going to lose their jobs over that. Not to mention that I grew up hunting pheasants that were raised at that farm. I hate the thought of knowing that my two sons won't be able to enjoy that with me as I did with my father.

:@:@:@:@

I spent all day yesterday fuming over this issue and I still dont feel any better!!!

Other than the 10 dollar stamp here are a few more additional proposed taxes that all seem to hit me in the wallet.

No more Star Rebate check! A tax on satellite tv! and an increase in alcohol tax.

So lets look at this for a second, I am 32 yrs old I own my own house, with satellite tv because I live in the middle of know where, I am a charter captain trying to operate a profitable business and I enjoy a few beers after work! Looks like the tax man just lives at my house!!!

Other than a Good job why should I stay in New York and not pick up and go somewhere else! I could get a transfer at work and leave anytime! There is no incentive for people my age to live, work and play in New York state. I would like to know when the Downstate is going to start pulling there weight here and stop penilizing us for a quiet way of life!!! I guess I need to work more than the 60hrs a week I already do!! Apparetly I am not working hard enough!!

I am really looking forward to the Mass email I will have to send to all customers saying "dont forget to spend more money this year when you come fishing!!!"

Sorry guys I just needed to vent!!!

I will be contacting anyone that will listen on this issue!!

Brian

Here's my idea. Get rid of the illegal's and make all the non working welfare people work for the farmers if they want there check. If there are no jobs for the illegals, they wont come. That would save a ton.

Here's another one. I have a buddie that somehow qualifies for medicaid for his entire family. He leaves his nice house in his Escilade that he parks next to his 24'camper when he goes to the doctor(not a drug dealer). I bet there are a ton more like that that could be eliminated and save the tax payer supported medicaid a ton of $.

Jeff

I don't live in NY,but I do keep my boat there.Billy V is exactly right,and i thank him for that rant.It's the same old crap with most of these political hacks.They never have enough,if we doubled what they got from us in taxes,they'd want more the following year.

And don't think for a minute that they are on your side,most of these idiots don't hunt or fish,and most are useless when it comes to doing anything mechanical.I'm sure they have to pay someone to change a light bulb in their houses.

In Massachusetts where I live,it's the same as New York.I live one mile from a pheasant farm that was closed by the state several years ago,because they said they couldn't afford it.Now it was deeded over to the town,who turned it into a yuppie place with a gazebo and concerts on the lawn in the summer."Oh God.

Of course you can no longer hunt there.The town also bought farms and land from private owners,under a state act called the community preservation act.Of course it's all paid for by the taxpayers of the town,who now have to subsidize it because the property is no longer taxable.The property is supposed to be for use by all the town residents,but it's only for "PASSIVE recreation,so it's useless to taxpayers like me who hunt,yet my taxes pay for it.

When will the people smarten up and vote for the very few honest ones,instead of creeps like go blow me vich in Illinois.

Screw all the politicians,I hope most of them, have a rotten Christmas,useless pieces of crap that they are.

Big Easy:

We are in violent agreement, great post!!!! I am with you all the way. I am soooooo tired of paying for people who never plan on working, & do plan on collecting from the working public through the political handout system (welfare, etc.).

:devil::devil::devil:

I may be mistaken, but I believe it was former ® Gov. Pataki who put the conservation/DEC $$$ from a dedicated fund into the general fund, & we all know how that improved things :( . Now we have a (D) gov. raising conservation fees that will more than likely go into the general fund to pay for RenSquare & other pork projects.

I'm registered (I), vote accordingly, & wouldn't complain (at least too loudly :) ) if additional fees were dedicated to conservation/wildlife projects. I doubt we'll ever see that again in NYS, which ever political party is in power.

I don't think that many of us would complain about having to get a trout stamp if our fishing license fees stayed with the fish. My complaint is that our hunting/fishing/trapping and other licenses fix the trails and trailhead parking in the high peaks. Probably most of us don't ever hike up there but there are thousands of people every year that do. How about a hiking permit/license for all the NYC yuppies or bunny huggers that hike but don't hunt/fish/pay for another license.

Or how about taxing golf, hockey, roller bladeing, basketball, football, baseball, horse racing, swimming, or just breathing? :devil: What the heck, why not tax everything and we can just go to work, stay home, and pay taxes. No recreation except for the rich.

Earlier this week I attended the state of the lake meeting and the budget was a big concern. There is a request in to find out who exactly proposed this stamp which I doubt came from Patterson because I would be surprised if he actually knew there were salmon or trout in Lake Ontario. I will keep you posted. As ususual, no one was thinking about the extra money that those that promote the industry will have to try and extract from our customers. It will add an additional $40 bucks to a four person charter.

What we all must pay close attention to the Oxy settlement monies which are frozen and no one could tell us exactly why. So all those projects are on hold. Everyone I have spoken to said the money could not be raided but also could not explain the hold.

There are no expenditures over $500 that can be made without approval and as of the meeting no expenditures had been approved or turned down. The pheasant farm closure was a real kick in the keester because we just completed a 1/2 hour video of a youth hunt at the Adubon facility utilizing these pheasants and showing the positive aspects of introducing young people to hunting.

The good news is that the egg take for 2009 was great and everyone will get a full compliment of fish.

this is going to piss guys off new yorks should not have to pay the salmon and trout stamp. i think out of state guys should pay 10 bucks and canadians should pay double.

Why ???

That didn't piss me off what does is your state using your/my fishing lis. money any place they want. So if you charged me a X-tra $10.00 for trout/salmon stamp and spend the money on .................WHAT ????

This approach is sometimes referred to as “user

play / user pay.†That is to say that those who most

directly benefit from the programs and services

provided by the PFCB are the ones who foot the

bill.

This system has been in place in Pennsylvania

since 1921, when the first fishing license was

introduced. Anglers and boaters are justifiably

proud of this history of “self-sufficiency.†In order

for the system to work, however, customers need to

periodically adjust the amount of money they pay in

order to fund the programs they enjoy. The fees

charged for fishing licenses, for example, have

been increased about every 6 ½ years over the last

five decades.

We have two trout stamps one for state approve trout waters and one for Lake Erie and it's tribs. Those moneys go back into those programs the Erie deal has brought right of way along the steams for people to fish. What would my extra $10.00 do for fishing trout?salmon in your state..................... :P

Jason:

You would have nice, serene days on the water without a bunch of out of state fishermen but the money we bring that supports your recreation would be gone.

Any guesses on how much money out of state fishermen and hunters bring to New York? I myself spend thousands of dollars each year in New York - money PA would love to keep in PA. Target us and far fewer will come and the money will dwindle. Ask the charters how much business they get from out of state. Ask the hotels and restaurants. What will happen to the Salmon River hatchery when half of the fishermen disapear! Look at the licence plates on the cars around the lake and river access points and you will see how many out of state anglers are there. We bring hundreds of millions of dollars to your economy, money that funds the hatcheries and keeps the fishing economy afloat.

When you start splitting the population, you loose strength in numbers.

i think some of the people's thoughts on where the ten bucks should come from stem from falling out of the crib when they were a baby.

in the pass and probably still alot of your ten bucks will going for some good looking hookers or some other fringe benefits of the polititions.If this is the case then lay down and let it happen and get ready for the next round of taxes and maybe you you can be #1 in the nation for the high taxes' its always better to be #1.

If this money would enhance or at least keep things at the levels they are now I am not against it! I know its just another way to get in our pockets but if thats what it takes to keep our fishery going im all for it! We have an excellent fishery here and need to preserve it, so dig in the couch and find some loose change!

What you guys havent touched on is the money they spent to buy the portly angler for conservation officer training facilities! WTF is that all about? We need that like another hole in the head here in Pulaski!!! I hear enough flack from people at the shows about the harassment and ticketing from the "fish cops"! Just another way of spending our money to drive away more potential business!!!!!!