Some legal advice

Hope this is allowed but at least I get to write it out.  I purchased a COMPLETE drop in ready to plug in and go 4.3 mercruiser from Industrial engine and Machine in Canton Oh.  The deal was I had 3 bad engines and I was to give him all 3 bad ones and $1200 and he give me one completely rebuilt and ready to drop in engine.  I told him that it appeared all 6 exhaust housings were cracked and would need a couple good used ones.  He said he could weld these so I was good with that.  When I pick the engine up (3 hours away on Oct. 6) I notice that it doesn't have a bell housing on it or a coupler.  He gave me a bell housing and said he'd ship the coupler.  He also said he pressure tested the two exhaust manifolds that were on it and said they were good.  When I get the engine home I see it also doesn't have a starter.  I call Jeff and he said he'd get the starter and coupler in the mail right away.   I didn't get them until the first week in December and the coupler was completey rusted out and the splines were completely wore off and the starter was not the right one.  I didn't feel like waiting on the starter too so I just bought one myself .  He sent a different coupler but not until the middle of January.  I couldn't get a chance to work on the boat until march and by April 8th we put water to the engine the thermostat housing was leaking so I went to take the hoses off and actually stuck my finger through it.  Text Jeff AGAIN.  He said he'd get one right out April 12.  Nothing.  On April 20th he said its coming.  Nothing.  April 25 He said "He'd have his wife next day it to me because his employee never shipped it".  April 29th NOTHING.  April 30 he said he has the tracking and he'd send it to me.  NOTHING to this day.  I just purchased a used one off the internet and put it on last night.  Guess what?  BOTH EXHAUST MANIFOLDS ARE CRACKED AND LEAKING!

I filed two complaints through the BBB.  One after the thermostat housing was never sent and one today after I see both manifolds were never tested and fixed.  Thinking about filing in small claims court but would I have to do it in Canton where his business is or can I do it in my home town?  I'm guessing canton but then I have to drive 3 hours each way and I'm the one getting screwed again.

Oh yeah and the walleye are biting to top it off.  lol.  Got to find humor somewhere.

1 boat4.jpg

Edited by wicked walleye

I took someone to small claims court ,he never showed up, I won the case . Here is the good part ,I was told to find out where he works ,good luck with that , then give info to Sheriffs dept , they collect it  in small payments over many months , then I had to drive downtown to collect the monies from the Sheriffs Dept. It was a few hundred dollars , I never bothered and it cost me the small claims fee as well. Had to do it in the village he lived in as stated above. There is no guarantee that he will pay the judgment even if you win the case.Sometimes your better off cutting your losses and moving on. If the block and everything else is good it may be cheaper [ in the long run ] and easier to buy some manifolds off Craigslist or ebay. Good luck

Wicked

I have a brand new jasper reman sitting on skid. 

New manifolds

Rebuilt starter and alternator

New reman carb

New drive coupling etc.....

205hp lx

If interested shoot me a txt

716 708 8649

Good luck getting the money even if you win your case. I sued because someone sold me truck and on the way home list oil pressure at idle. I won't the case and the appeal. $1600 truck. Never saw a dime. Called courthouse they said that's my problem, they can't make anyone pay.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I sent pics of the manifolds and he finally responded "Guess what buy some manifolds".  I "reminded" him that I had in writing that the manifolds were to be good and that after the BBB was done doing their thing I was going to the local magistrate.  He reconsidered and sent me $200.  Even though the starter and thermostat housing cost almost that at least its some compensation and I won't obviously have to deal with him again.

Just a little update.  I told him once the BBB was done doing their thing I was taking him to the local magistrate.  He got right back to me and said he would send $200 for compensation.  Even though through no fault of mine it has cost me months of delays and more cash than that I took the deal.  It was easier than going through all the headache of the local magistrate.  Once he responded to the BBB I could respond with an "issue has been resolved".  OK.  So yesterday he calls me and asks if I got the engine running, hows the oil pressure, is it quiet.  I said it is running but only revs to 2800 and that I believe the wrong prop is on the boat or I need a new fuel pump but other than that I think it sounds ok.  Then he says he just got notified that I filed a complaint through the BBB and that if I didn't retract my complaint that he was voiding the warranty on the engine.  I said that as soon as he responded to the BBB that they will contact me and that I would list the complaint as resolved.  At 1:00 in the morning I get a text saying I had 24 hours to contact the BBB or he was voiding my warranty and that he recorded our call with me saying that the engine was running and that it had oil pressure.  I really don't care that he recorded it (even though it is illegal to record a conversation in Pa without both parties consent).  I don't however like being blackmailed to lose my warranty if I don't contact the BBB in 24 hours.  I told him that and he responded that he didn't need me to because i text him that i would and he was taking that to the BBB so he doesn't need me anymore and that my warranty was officially voided.  lol  Again "Industrial Engine and machine"  Canton Oh.  Jeff is the guys name.  Businesses like his are why the BBB is here.  To protect buyers from losing money to shady businesses.

Sorry that you are having to deal with this.  Sounds like a real short-sighted dirt bag.  I would post this on every forum, Facebook, etc.  As noted above, you would save a lot of people the agony of having to deal with this guy and cut off his business at the same time.       

Edited by VanderLaan

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry that you are having to deal with this.  Sounds like a real short-sighted dirt bag.  I would post this on every forum, Facebook, etc.  As noted above, you would save a lot of people the agony of having to deal with this guy and cut off his business at the same time.       
I had to buy an engine three years ago and drove from Buffalo NY to Boston ma Father and son business explained everything and had paperwork to upgrade my old ignition system to the new high energy ignition. I guess I picked the right people. That guy in Ohio should be water boarded

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

He apparently knew he wouldn't have a leg to stand on with the warranty voiding if I didn't retract so he text me and said he would stand behind the engine so I contacted the BBB and considered the complaint "resolved".  Obviously won't be doing business with him again.  It's just a shame you have to get EVERYTHING in writing anymore.  People just don't feel the need to stand behind their word unless they get caught with it in writing.