Evinrude Trim/Tilt Motor Replacement

Guppy35

I've got a 1989 Evinrude 110hp motor that the trim/Tilt Motor no longer works on. I took the case off the current trim/Tilt Motor and cleaned all the components the best I could and re-installed them, but it still didn't work. I can hear a click when I push the up or down button, but nothing else happens. I ordered a new motor, but now I've gotten myself into a predicament. The way everything is located on the Evinrude, the only easy way to replace the whole trim/Tilt Motor is to lift the whole motor up off the transom to get to one of the screws on the back side. Of course this is no easy task because it appears that I would have to remove the gas tank from the boat in order to gain access to the bottom two bolts through the transom. The other possibility is to take the cover off the new trim/Tilt Motor and take it apart... I think I may be able to access the back screw that way. But do I really want to break the seal on a brand new motor, or am I just asking for trouble doing that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I looked at my 1990 v4 motor.It looked to me you should be able to secure your motor in the up position.Take out the 4 bolts on each side.Then pull the pin on your hydraulic lift cylinder and take the whole trim unit out in one piece.Then remove your motor.If your motor is stuck in the down position you would need to pull the pin out of the lift cylinder first and secure it in the up position.Before doing any of this you my want to try your motor wires directly to a good 12 volt battery.It could be your relay and not your motor.If i remember right I believe there is 2 like fuses in the relay one for up and one for down.It could be as simple as replacing them.Anyway I would try your motor first by passing the relay to make sure the problem is the motor. 

• Like 1

I looked at my 1990 v4 motor.It looked to me you should be able to secure your motor in the up position.Take out the 4 bolts on each side.Then pull the pin on your hydraulic lift cylinder and take the whole trim unit out in one piece.Then remove your motor.If your motor is stuck in the down position you would need to pull the pin out of the lift cylinder first and secure it in the up position.Before doing any of this you my want to try your motor wires directly to a good 12 volt battery.It could be your relay and not your motor.If i remember right I believe there is 2 like fuses in the relay one for up and one for down.It could be as simple as replacing them.Anyway I would try your motor first by passing the relay to make sure the problem is the motor. 
Yes, what Sean said! Had same problem on my 91 Johnson 4 cylinder. Absolutely check relays, they are located behind cylinder head in black enclosure. One relay is for up and the other one is down. Hope this is your problem, I got a new set of relays from Napa for cheap. Goodluck

Sent from my LML212VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When all fails youtube it.Hear is a good video of how to troubleshoot and remove everything.I put a tnt unit in a motor that didn't have it but this guy has done many more than me.  

Edited by Sean Youngblood

When all fails youtube it.Hear is a good video of how to troubleshoot and remove everything.I put a tnt unit in a motor that didn't have it but this guy has done many more than me.  
[/url]  
Good vid Sean, I have the same motor. I'll be looking up this in the future! Lol

Sent from my LML212VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app