• 2 weeks later...

I maybe mis understanding your question but thumper rods are usally fished with a paddle or a flasher. They are used mostly as a speed indicator and run directly down the shoot with a 1 or so lbs weight. I don't I thunk cowbell are going to give you the desired effect you are looking for. But I have always used a standard flasher fly leader combo like what I pull behind a diver. 7 to 8 ft to the flasher and about 3 flasher lengths from flasher to the fly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just wondering if any of you guys use a leader off of the 3 way swivel to cowbells or hook the directly to the swivel? If you do use a lead how far? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

When I dragged cowbells on the thumper, I used a three foot leader from the rudder.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gambler is correct about placement. Lakers are notorious followers so you don’t want to pull them away from other opportunities with trailing baits. This uses an assumption that fish see up better than down based on eye position. I did an article in GLA a few years back titled “layered for lakers” that chronicles a technique I was using on Ontario. First rod forward was the deepest with a 2 lb thumper and cowbells. Next rod was a dodger/fly on rigger, just off the bottom with a long set back to stay out of the thumper. To figure out how long a setback you use via A2 + B2 = C2 ( I know ....sorry it’s math) whereby A2= depth of water and  C2 = amount of line out on thumper. B2 is what you need to solve for rigger setback.   Next bait forward is just above that with mag dipsy on one side and then just behind that rig is standard dipsy on opposite side. You can add more layers with junk lines out back or boards. I can run additional thumpers off my otter boats with fixed aftco roller releases. The idea is to present as many opportunities for a fish to have a bait in its face while trailing behind your spread. Of course you could just jig for them LOL. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. So I tried not even running a line on my probe line and my other rigger bouncing bottom. And running a thumper. They just seem to like the thumper. STILL can’t get a damn bite on the rigger..... weird lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 4 weeks later...