Kicker control options...Would like opinions

10thMTNDAVE

Buying a new boat for me. A G3 Deep V aluminum with a yamaha F250 and an 8HP High thrust kicker. The current kicker has the tiller control option as pictured. I think I would prefer the remote helm control which means a few more $$$ sunk into the boat before I even get the rest of the gear I need to hit the water this spring.

Anybody out there currently using this set-up?

What about having everything available at the helm?

Looking for a few opinions from those with a lot more time on the water (Not just longer in the tooth) than me. Seems like this would be the least desirable option. Am I missing something?

Your comments and opinions would be appreciated

aVIi8sA.jpg

You should be able to get the linkage to hook the kicker to the main OB, this is a very standard practice, then you can steer from the helm. Then, when you discover that you can't live without an auto pilot, your kicker will self steer off the main motors steering control.

You should look into the trollmaster for at the helm throttle control (kicker engine speed). I have used one for the last 8 years & would not be without it. It really is difficult to maintain your trolling speed with the twistgrip on the motor. Around $200, haven't looked at them recently, maybe a little more now. Once you have one you will not go back!

My EZ Steer system has broken twice in the past three years. I bought a rod connector from Cabela's this fall and will try it. You hook it up when you are trolling with the kicker motor. Disconnect it for main engine operation. You need the main engine down with the kicker operating to maintain good steerage. Without doing this you have a hard time steering. The rod connector is a lot cheaper to buy. You need to bend it to fit, not a problem with a good vise.

I would highly reccomend this unit along with the connector jimski was talking about. I have the bar that connects both engines so I can steer with the main but use this for my throttle control. It has such a range to really dial in the rpms for your speed. If you have any questions on install or operation let me know.

This along with an autopilot makes for a easier day on the water for sure!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0030614018202a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=THROTTLE+CONTROLS&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Iceman, I should have read more clearly. I was just checking out the site quick on the way to work. They are great tho, thats why I wanted to let him know about it.

Once you get one you will never go back is the truth.

Jimski2, I used the rod connector you are talking about. Merc 150 EFI to merc 9.9. I always kept it connected. Each motor could be tilted independantly of the other.

Dave, I have a separate remote control for the kicker. Start, shifting, trim /tilt, and throttle control is all done at the helm.

Thanks for all the opinions!! You guys have been a great help.

I am going with the remote kicker option so that I have start, shifting, trim/tilt and throttle all from the Helm.

Now I have to look in to this "Autopilot" business. Here I was thinking I would have to draft the wife into steering the boat while I am busy with the fish.

Thanks For everyone’s opinion, and the great welcome I received as a new member to this site!

I am now the proud owner of the G3 FLW pictured. It is a 2009 that was used for 3 hours by some celebs at a tournament in Missouri.

I am getting it equipped with a fully enclosed stand up canvas, the kicker controls remote to the helm, Lowrance LMS 520C with the trolling motor transducer as well as the Lowrance LCX 27C with the transom mount transducer and a VHF radio with antenna. I will be saving my money for a couple of downriggers when the water heats up this summer. Plan on leaving Iraq and getting onto lake O by the end of May. Hope that’s not too late to get into some action fairly shallow with flat lines and Walker DDs. Plan to Haunt the area from Black River Bay down to North Pond, maybe some grey beard will have some mercy and point me in the right direction when I start striking out. I hope you don't mind if I am wishing for a late spring? See you out there, and thanks again for all the great help.

Pq15v2q9.jpg

Sweet rig Dave !!! I have a 20 ft Starcraft, same basic style as yours. I used Eagle Feet to mount a downrigger board across the back. This served a couple functions. It allowed me to not drill holes for mounting riggers rod holders etc.. The board can be removed in minutes to set up the boat for non trolling fishing. The board provides more area to mount rod holders. I see you have center seat base on the raised rear deck, same as mine. I used a pedestal to give additional support to the board. Just to throw some ideas out to you. Merry Xmas and I hope the best for your safe return to start fishing in May.

Here's some pics of my 20'

aV19R8SJ.jpg

gx1RU6ni.jpg

aV19Rvk0.jpg

aV19RCOr.jpg

Pq15HIBS.jpg