24 volt trolling motor

I'm looking at upgrading my current 12v trolling motor to a 24v. Currently I have two batteries in the back of the boat. One for the trolling motor and one for the starting motor/electronics. I don't really have room for a third in the back so here is my question. How far apart can two batteries be that are wired for 24v? can one be at the back and one in the front? I am willing to give up some of the storage in the front for a second battery but not sure it ill work being approximately 10' apart.

10-15’ should not be an issue. DC current IS sensitive to distance, but you can counteract that by increasing the gauge of the wires. Make sure you use appropriate sized wires that will handle the amperage over those distances. Its also no difference if the two batteries are next to each other and then there is a long run to the motor, or if one battery is close to the motor and the other is long way away.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you run a motor at 12v that’s capable of 24 are you just giving up longevity or power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

May not even be enough power to run. I would not mess with it... if it says 24v the. You should provide 24v.
If it just needed 12 V and you wanted longer run time then you can get larger batteries or can run multiple batteries in parallel. This is ver different than running batteries in series to up the voltage

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Why not just get a 12v trolling motor that does the thrust you want? The battery just won't last as long or allow for the high thrust applications. You will proably accomplish more running lower thrust at 12v than running a 24v trolling motor at 12v.

Edited by Chas0218