Down rigger hook set

My first trip out on Keuka trying out down riggers I bought last spring. Came with down rigger poles. Eight foot six medium action. Reddish line not braid not mono very thin.

Got three fish to the boat, before it seems they just let go. The pole has sooo much flex there no ‘yank’ possible. Single hook on my spoon seems typical. Was a great day out there today but take home trout would make it better!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My first trip out on Keuka trying out down riggers I bought last spring. Came with down rigger poles. Eight foot six medium action. Reddish line not braid not mono very thin.
Got three fish to the boat, before it seems they just let go. The pole has sooo much flex there no ‘yank’ possible. Single hook on my spoon seems typical. Was a great day out there today but take home trout would make it better!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
Not sure about the line on the rods, but when trolling you don't need to set the hook per say as you would on a bass or perch casting. The fish pretty much hook themselves during the process. When you get a bite and the rod releases get to the rod as fast as you can and before you take it out of the rod holder reel as fast as you can until the slack is gone and the rod loads up with the fish then pick it up. At this point keep the tension on and have fun! Some spoons with treble hooks might increase your catch ratio as well, but I've caught plenty of Lakers on a barracuda reflecto spoon hand fishing copper wire when I was a kid. Anywho I hope this helps. I'm sure others will chime in here.

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pole and line have little to do with what you described.  As the post above says, a good treble hook, don't ever set the hook, and slow and steady reel to the net with as even pressure as possible.  Trout mouths are pretty soft and tear out easily.  I have had many people pull back and reel down like you might do another type of fish, this just opens the hole wider allowing the hook to go free if you let the line slack.... if you use dipsys a good snubber will help prevent pull outs as well.  My 2 cents... typically my charters land 70-90 percent depending on the skill of the angler and their ability to follow instructions...once in a while I get someone incapable of following basic instructions and I watch fish swim away laughing...