it would be almost impossible to cheat in this tournament considering there is an observer on board, which is randomly exchanged. I wondered why numbers were low since they get a big crowd on the Canadian side. I personally loved how fast the weigh in and prize give out went. I had my salmon slam check 30 minutes after weigh in finished. I thought it was well run and had a great time. The women running weigh in and registration did a wonderful job. We are team Dances With Fish and know very few if anyone up there, but everyone was extremely friendly and the facility and restaurant were great. On a side note we had a LOC king 21.4 ounces and my father didn’t register for the LOC on Wednesday, love you dad!?.  Also my stubbornness gets the best of me and I allow myself to rely on yesterday fish instead of finding a brand new batch. I had a good bite from 140 to 220 out of Wilson for a few days with bigger fish but poof they vanished my opinion is I think they go to bottom and lay there.  

19 hours ago, moemoe said:

Anyone know why the numbers crashed? 29 team field? thought it was always a 60 team event?

Most events are at all time lows except for the Canadian event in the Spring. In that event the entry fee is very low. It's also a "near shore" tourney where smaller boats feel safer. That time of year the Walleye fishery is not open on Erie, so they pull some Lake Erie teams up. 

Tournament fishing is what upped our level over the years. Not going out of the same port or two every weekend. You can go to seminars all winter, read up on LOU, and scroll Facebook all you want for the hottest lures, techniques, and ports. Time on the water in a controlled time format against some of the best fisherman is what makes you better. The days where you go out and slam 40 fish and get your hero shots you learn nothing. The days you struggle and fine tune your spread is when you pick up on the subtleties that matter at times. These fantastic years of fishing we've had the last few years are making all of us dumb fisherman. It's too easy at times and you can put anything in the water and catch them. 

• Like 1

As stated above, entrees in tourneys for the most part have seen a decline over the last few years, and not only trout and salmon either, it's across the board. To answer why that is for the Lake Ontario events I think involves many factors - many previous teams have broken up, cost of living has gone up, cost of this sport has gone up, the high water isn't helping matters this year, etc. - I know if I had a larger boat like a lot of the teams and had to travel across the lake to an event I would be very hesitant this year with the amount of large debris in the water. However, I think economics is the largest driving factor. While I agree with Rick that the amazing fishing we have seen the last few years may make anglers lazy (I wouldn't say dumb) you still have to pay attention to the details and adjust your strategy to target the larger fish or else end up in the middle of the pack. Plus there is always that element of luck whereby you happen upon a larger school of kings and get them to go. Consistency is what highlights skill in the tourney realm - those who consistently place in the Top-10 from season to season. 

The best way to become a better angler is to learn from your own and others mistakes, pay attention to details (no matter how small), and keep records to refer back to and to look over in preparation. Most of us have had a crushfest day while other struggled to get bit (or vice versa) even though your running the same stuff side by side - the difference is often in minute details like type or test of line, leader length, size of spoon, treble hooks versus single hooks, clip size, etc. etc. etc.  Ask those that do well in an event what gave them the edge - most anglers realize that each day is different and will give you an honest answer. This past weekend we succeeded in waters where others struggled and it came down to several key details that we had dialed in the day before: spoon color and size (Carbon-14 & Defender, mags and Stingrays), rigger depth and separation (65 and 85), presentation (12 ft leads off the balls with fixed free sliders 12 ft above), down speed (2.4 early, 2.2 later), tracking of the bait/fish (progressed east), and most importantly the willingness to adjust these as the fish and water conditions changed based on previous experience (when the wind and waves picked up we lengthened the leads off the riggers to 25 ft). 

Edited by Finders Keepers
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

Most events are at all time lows except for the Canadian event in the Spring. In that event the entry fee is very low. It's also a "near shore" tourney where smaller boats feel safer. That time of year the Walleye fishery is not open on Erie, so they pull some Lake Erie teams up. 

Tournament fishing is what upped our level over the years. Not going out of the same port or two every weekend. You can go to seminars all winter, read up on LOU, and scroll Facebook all you want for the hottest lures, techniques, and ports. Time on the water in a controlled time format against some of the best fisherman is what makes you better. The days where you go out and slam 40 fish and get your hero shots you learn nothing. The days you struggle and fine tune your spread is when you pick up on the subtleties that matter at times. These fantastic years of fishing we've had the last few years are making all of us dumb fisherman. It's too easy at times and you can put anything in the water and catch them. 

No doubt on the fact that you learn nothing pounding em. Learning how to change and adjust is the key. Honestly if I was on Erie and went to my spot and seen no fish I would of left and looked for em, but I didn’t have that confidence. I picked a direction and hoped.  That’s what makes it a competition and a learning experience.  We did well in Salmon Slam just out of shear hard work we fished hard. There was a lot of Erie boats the fished the WHI. One difference I see between Erie and Ontario is boat size. Guys on Erie trailer and Ontario guys don’t. I can tell you that being near shore and conditions mean very little to small boat guys on Erie. A good majority of Erie tournaments only cancel if an advisory is posted. One in particular is open regardless of conditions go at your own risk. It’s not the tournament cost necessarily it’s getting your big boat to that port, cost add up and the wife hates when you get whipped after spending that money. 

10 hours ago, Finders Keepers said:

FYI - TIMESUP is my brother and only has daughters...LOL! As stated above, entrees in tourneys for the most part have seen a decline over the last few years, and not only trout and salmon either, it's across the board. To answer why that is for the Lake Ontario events I think involves many factors - many previous teams have broken up, cost of living has gone up, cost of this sport has gone up, the high water isn't helping matters this year, etc. - I know if I had a larger boat like a lot of the teams and had to travel across the lake to an event I would be very hesitant this year with the amount of large debris in the water. However, I think economics is the largest driving factor. While I agree with Rick that the amazing fishing we have seen the last few years may make anglers lazy (I wouldn't say dumb) you still have to pay attention to the details and adjust your strategy to target the larger fish or else end up in the middle of the pack. Plus there is always that element of luck whereby you happen upon a larger school of kings and get them to go. Consistency is what highlights skill in the tourney realm - those who consistently place in the Top-10 from season to season. 

The best way to become a better angler is to learn from your own and others mistakes, pay attention to details (no matter how small), and keep records to refer back to and to look over in preparation. Most of us have had a crushfest day while other struggled to get bit (or vice versa) even though your running the same stuff side by side - the difference is often in minute details like type or test of line, leader length, size of spoon, treble hooks versus single hooks, clip size, etc. etc. etc.  Ask those that do well in an event what gave them the edge - most anglers realize that each day is different and will give you an honest answer. This past weekend we succeeded in waters where others struggled and it came down to several key details that we had dialed in the day before: spoon color and size (Carbon-14 & Defender, mags and Stingrays), rigger depth and separation (65 and 85), presentation (12 ft leads off the balls with fixed free sliders 12 ft above), down speed (2.4 early, 2.2 later), tracking of the bait/fish (progressed east), and most importantly the willingness to adjust these as the fish and water conditions changed based on previous experience (when the wind and waves picked up we lengthened the leads off the riggers to 25 ft). 

No.. I have no brothers nor sisters. 

Edited by TIMESUP

On 5/20/2019 at 12:49 PM, moemoe said:

Anyone know why the numbers crashed? 29 team field? thought it was always a 60 team event?

Where you there ? I think a lot of times we can answer our own questions  lol

It was a 50 team limit, but I have no idea why the turnout was low ?  A lot of guys are 

intimidated to fish big tournaments but probably should't be.  A few guys dominate the leader board, and I know that plays a big role. Not really clear on where things are heading, but it would appear something needs to change.

On a positive note, I was among a great group of regular AM teams participating in a discussion this afternoon about The Oswego Pro Am and it was very refreshing!  Good things potentially coming this year, so keep your eye on that one if you're an amateur.  

Edited by Fishtails