1986 Bayliner Trophy 2460 alternator issues

Hachimo

I had to pass on taking a trip up north this weekend becouse I’m having an issue with batteries not charging on the old girl. Friday i had it on my local lake and the alternator got hot and burned up the belt. Luckily i was close to shore.  So i had spare alternator put it on and i have 14.3 comin off the alternator. Charged the batteries and hit the lake again yesterday. Well after a few hrs i noticed my volts on battery meter goin down and after it hit 11volts i packed up and didnt make it. Boat died and had to put my jumper pack on to make it back to shore. My batteries are a few years old so i will be buying two new batteries but a few guys said the “voltage regulator could be bad and not sending enough volta back to the batterie.  Figured I’d ask here before getting into it and maybe be pointed in the right direction. Thanks for any advice.  

CF3616F5-1063-4CF9-B630-8B7626F1F49C.jpeg

Were you running the big motor when the batteries died? If you were I would say it’s in the regulator, which should be built into the alternator. You should be able to start your boat and unhook the battery and it should still run.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Appreciate the input fishnut.  Yes if I disconnect the batteries the boat stalls right out.  Also this morning i checked voltage on alternator again and it was 11.4. So maybe bein it was all old spare alternator it lasted an hour or two all stopped charging.  I’m thinkin just get it rebuilt and have them check the regulator and hopefully I’ll b back inaction for the first weekend of june. 

• 2 weeks later...

After $300 with two new batteries and having my alternator cleaned,I’m ready to go.  Fired the old girl up with muffs in the driveway and at 1000rpms and all my lights and fishfinders on I’m reading 13.4 volts.  Hopefully i get back up to Mexico 2nd weekend of june