Slide Diver Lead Length

Going to give Slide Divers a try for salmon next weekend and need some advice as to how much lead length to use.

Reels are spooled with 30# Braid and plan to splice in 30lb Mono in the recommended lead length advised and then a 7’ leader after the barrel swivel in 20# Fluoro for spoons.

Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Going to give Slide Divers a try for salmon next weekend and need some advice as to how much lead length to use.
Reels are spooled with 30# Braid and plan to splice in 30lb Mono in the recommended lead length advised and then a 7’ leader after the barrel swivel in 20# Fluoro for spoons.

Thank You!

I run my slide divers on wire and then splice in 30' of mono. After the swivel I run about a 4' flourocarbon lead for my low diver. If you go too long it can be difficult when using meat rigs. On my high diver I run a 15' flourocarbon lead the length of the rod. On my high diver I'm usually running spoons. I just switched to slide divers this year and love them. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I run my slide divers on wire and then splice in 30' of mono. After the swivel I run about a 4' flourocarbon lead for my low diver. If you go too long it can be difficult when using meat rigs. On my high diver I run a 15' flourocarbon lead the length of the rod. On my high diver I'm usually running spoons. I just switched to slide divers this year and love them. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Rich!! You always have the answer! [emoji2]

I don't even use the slide part of the diver but use lure tension by being able to use just about a 6' to 7' fluro for my leads then I use about 65# line then tie a 0-RING on a piece  and lace it up in the back going through the lite bite arm. I just tie to the front arm.with my main line. using the slide divers for longer leads is your choice. I will never use the slide part as I get plenty long enough leaders using it like a dipsy. but I can catch plenty of fish with the short 6' or 7' leader.

1 hour ago, sherman brown said:

I don't even use the slide part of the diver but use lure tension by being able to use just about a 6' to 7' fluro for my leads then I use about 65# line then tie a 0-RING on a piece  and lace it up in the back going through the lite bite arm. I just tie to the front arm.with my main line. using the slide divers for longer leads is your choice. I will never use the slide part as I get plenty long enough leaders using it like a dipsy. but I can catch plenty of fish with the short 6' or 7' leader.

You can use a slide diver as a poor man's downrigger for shallow water fishing . By that I mean water 15 to   40 feet when  the fish are surface to bottom . Let out 75 ft or more , set diver to max side setting and let out diver so it's like 5 to 10 ft  ft under the surface, or 15 ft off bottom  . Kind of like a underwater planer . You can get it about 15 to  30  ft off the side with a 10 ft rod . 

Done this a few times and it works.  

Edited by HB2

4 hours ago, HB2 said:

You can use a slide diver as a poor man's downrigger for shallow water fishing . By that I mean water 15 to   40 feet when  the fish are surface to bottom . Let out 75 ft or more , set diver to max side setting and let out diver so it's like 5 to 10 ft  ft under the surface, or 15 ft off bottom  . Kind of like a underwater planer . You can get it about 15 to  30  ft off the side with a 10 ft rod . 

Done this a few times and it works.  

I use the lite bite slide diver. I run 65# power pro braid on top of the mono. I went out to 50' of water and let out line until I started hitting bottom. with this set up and running at 2.0 it took 185' to get down to 50'. then I did the math and got 2.7 dive for every 10' of line out with my diver set up.

Also , I had a good conversation with the slide diver guy at the Niagara show . I said I used dipseys and walkers for my flashers . 

He said with the rod length leads with the dipseys , it would restrict the circle the flasher, especially the  11" ,  would make . Makes sense as I use  25  to 35  leads for flashers off my riggers,. 

Some guys are using 15 ft leads on their  dipsey and hand lining the fish to the net . F that , might as well use the slide diver with the ultimate ring . 

• 3 weeks later...