Bass Fishing near Brockport - need any help I can get

Hey guys, I love bass fishing and I get out a lot back home in WNY because I know where all the honey holes and lakes are. However, I started college this year at Brockport as an Environmental Science major and landed a job this summer doing research with Dr. Rinchard. I brought a couple of rods and my tackle box and my kayak hoping to do some fishing in my downtime. The issue is that I have no clue where to go. theres only limited info on the internet and I have done hours of searching trying to find some spots that arent super far and that i can access via foot or kayak. i found a couple ponds and I know lake ontario is right here but I dont know where to go in the lake. If you guys can point me in the right direction and give me some spots I would greatly appreciate it. I am only 18 and im doing this strictly for fun and Im just catching and releasing and trying to learn more about the sport. In addition, if you guys can think of any ponds or lakes within about 30 minutes or so of the brockport area I would be more than willing to hear you out. As I said Im just catching and releasing so if anyone wants to PM me their honeyholes or secret ponds I wouldnt pose any threat and I would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

Within  15 miles of Brockport are the LO tribs as stated , probably your best bet . Stay off the lake , no need to be out there . Good mix of everything . 

Black creek in Bergen , largemouth and pike . 

The canal , there is a widewater between Holley and Hulberton I fished as a kid a lot . The spillway just east of the lift bridge in Holley . Canal tip, anywhere there is a change  . Concrete to rock , bridge enbutments, etc . bounce small jigs from shallow to deep or small crank baits . Lot of small mouths and some walleye . Largemouth in the widewater .  

The Quarries in Hulberton if they aren't posted . Some pig largemouth  in those . Hard to catch . 

This should keep you busy for the summer . 

Edited by HB2

Lots of water to explore in Braddock's Bay. There's a public car top launch immediately prior to the marina on the East side off East Manitou Road (Manitou Beach Road is the West side). The edges are all cattail on the South side and there's usually spots to tuck in with wind. Long Pond has always been more catfish, sheephead, pike and sometimes a walleye for me. Buck can get sloppy, but there's bucketmouths in there. All the above are good suggestions, too. I'll also mention the lower section of Oak Orchard, but x2 on staying off the big pond. Smallmouth fishing isn't what it used to be and it can get dangerous fast out there.

What Gator said, and head up Buttonwood Creek in the evening with surface lures for largemouths, likely the same up Salmon Creek when you start to get into the wetlands more.  Also, if the lake is not rough, the flats just outside the bay produce smallmouths, and carp if you can get into that, early season.  Also, take a look at any stormwater ponds on campus, these often get colonized by largemouths and I have seen some surprisingly big ones in relatively small ponds.  You are also not that far from Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge and the Oak Orchard FWMA, both have good spots to kayak fish.

Thank you all so much! I compiled a list and I’m hoping to hit all these spots over the summer and update you guys with some pictures. Thanks again!

• Like 1