Trout and salmon stamp BS

I see the argument for it - the state spends money on stocking these, so it's a cost to offset that special state spending. PA has done this for some time. I also see Jason's point, and it is only just $10 bucks. The problem I have is that 1) we have no way of ensuring that these moneys will actually go to improve or sustain the fisheries, and 2) we're being nickle and dimed to death by the gov't. because of their own mismanagement of funds and programs (on both sides of the isle). I'm tired of it, but won't move out of the state, so next year I'll be in line with everyone else paying $29 for the ability to fish for trout in NY with a regular soda in my hand....

I really don't have any problem if the $ goes back into the waterways. Unfortunatley it will probablly be helping our NYS welfare system.

+2 who really can tell where these funds will be going? If i had certainty that it would get put back into ny conservation i wouldn't mind paying 100 but there is no certainty at all!

hell...he wants to tax non diet sodas too, i am sure he wants protect people from obesity??? ;)

So I get my paycheck on Friday (income tax and FICA), drop my property tax payment check in the mail before jumping in the hybrid that I just bought (sales tax) to save on gas that was over $4/gal a few months ago; swing by the Exxon and fill up (gas tax) go in and get a pack of smokes (cig tax) and a regular soda (obesity tax) then drive down the highway (toll), reach the dock and head out on the boat with my buddies to fish for trout (regular license fee plus trout/salmon stamp). While I'm on the boat I download a few songs to the ipod (download tax) and do some last minute on-line christmas shopping (use tax). While I'm out there I'm overcome with grief about all the taxes and fees that I've had to pay just for a day on the water, so my body just begins shutting down. With my dying breath I pull out the suitcase full of cash that I keep under the wheel (to insulate my savings from a crashing stockmarket and money-hungry stock brokers) and give it to my best bud (gift tax) then give a salute and keel over and die (estate tax).

Anyone wanna do the math?

Here is contact info , the poking around I've done has shown that IF the stamp is NOT ear marked to go back to the DEC it will go into the General fund and be spent where ever !!!!! If someone can find a better way to be heard post it :

Contact The Governor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Write To The Governor:

David A. Paterson

State Capitol

Albany, NY 12224

518-474-8390

To Email The Governor:

http://161.11.121.121/govemail

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS.

Responses may be sent via the U.S. Mail.

For Information on Legislation:

Please access the New York State Legislative

Session Information page at

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us

It may only be $10.00 but it sets a precedent for things to come.

The governor is trying to raise $ for the state budget, not for the stocking / hatcheries.... like all other sporting fees that end up not supporting the sportmen / sportswomen.

You need to contact your state senators and tell them that enough is enough.

It doesn't impact the trout / salmon fishermen in Harlem.

it's the same old story,the state overspends and needs more money. if it was to support stocking why is there no muskie or walleye stamp? next year,i guess. if they just raised all the license fees i would just pay it and keep quiet. BUT THEY CAN"T EVEN TAX US WITHOUT WASTING MONEY. think about this...with a stamp they first have to pay someone for artwork. probably some official's relative. then they have to print them,distribute and moniter them,and collect the unused stamps at the end of the season. they will spend half of the stamp revenue on the stamp program. the trout stamp is nearly as dumb as the obesity tax on pop. i own a supermarket and now hear this; a third of the pop i sell is paid for with food stamps. when you pay for pop with food stamps you don't pay ANY taxes. so if you work all day and want a coke on the way home,ante up 18%. if you sit around all day watching maury you get free food stamp pop tax free. obesity tax or another shakedown of the working stiff? i,for one will cheat like heck on my taxes this year.

• 2 weeks later...

i live in pa. and don't even buy there trout stamp here, but the fishing is sooo much better in nys. that i really don't care if they raise it to 50 dallars, i will make up for it in the amount of time i spend on the water killing there little trouts and eating them yum-yum-yum!! i need to go set in my boat and calm down!

I agree with all of you.. this is all bad asset management....Lets if anything piss off governor patterson and waste even a second of his time....

Heres a link where you can write him a letter or e-mail him....not that anything will change because our government doesnt answer to the people anymore but hey, atleast you can vent.

http://www.ny.gov/governor/contact/index.html