Trailering with kicker

Jjanm77

This could fall under dumb question alert so fair warning. I have a new kicker and wondering if it’s necessary to use a support bracket to raise the clearance a bit? It clears about 8” off the ground. Or should I raise all the way up to the tallest lock? It’s a manual tilt Honda. I’ve read leave it down, use a bracket, and everything in between. The manual says a bracket but attaching it doesn’t seem straightforward to me but I’m probably missing something. Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_2766.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Jjanm77 said:

This could fall under dumb question alert so fair warning. I have a new kicker and wondering if it’s necessary to use a support bracket to raise the clearance a bit? It clears about 8” off the ground. Or should I raise all the way up to the tallest lock? It’s a manual tilt Honda. I’ve read leave it down, use a bracket, and everything in between. The manual says a bracket but attaching it doesn’t seem straightforward to me but I’m probably missing something. Thanks in advance for the advice.

IMG_2766.jpgIMG_2768.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless it is bolted through the transom I would be putting it in my vehicle. Those hand tighten clamps loosen on a boat ride let alone on while trailering.

Edited by Chas0218

I have always used a bracket. The type that is a bar that rests with one side on the trailer and the other side supports the partially raised kicker. This prevents the kicker from bouncing around and damaging the transom. They are also called transom savers.
image.png.397118b223976ff4c803077fe69dd75c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by rolmops

On 5/21/2019 at 1:36 PM, Chas0218 said:

Unless it is bolted through the transom I would be putting it in my vehicle. Those hand tighten clamps loosen on a boat ride let alone on while trailering.

I use a lock that prevents this

https://www.amazon.com/SeaLux-Marine-Outboard-Anti-Drill-security/dp/B017D1H060/ref=asc_df_B017D1H060/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138859876469&psc=1

Mine is not power tilt either and I have it mounted right on the transom of an aluminum boat very similar to your setup. I release the tilt and put a small piece of 2x4 between the bracket and the motor itself. Then I run a ratchet strap around the trailer bunk supports and the motor and crank it down. My thought process is the motor is now tilted up enough I don't worry about it hitting the ground, it can't bounce around with the strap, plus the 2x4 has a little give to it so it shouldn't break anything. Prolly not the best solution but has worked fine for me for over 2yrs now.

Edited by FishingFool34