Cayuga Cayuga Lake - North End

Hi All -

My father-in-law just bought a new boat, and we're looking to do a bit of fishing over the memorial day weekend. His home lake is Seneca, but I think I'll be pushing to fish more on the North side of Cayuga (Thinking of launching at either the state park or Dean's cove). It'd be great to get into some perch for a fish fry, so can people recommend spring time patterns that I should look for? Any kind of depth ranges to focus on? I primarily fish saltwater as I live in NYC, so freshwater is fairly new to me (trying to read and learn as much as I can.)

If perch fishing doesn't work out, I wouldn't mind targeting some LMB. Can anyone let me know if the LMB are prespawn right now? I've fished the north end of Cayuga off my kayak once, and caught a few LMB on a keitech. It was during the summer months though. Here's a quick clip of my LMB on Cayuga.... 

Appreciate any help. Have a great holiday weekend, and for those fishing the Lake Trout Derby on Seneca, good luck!

• Like 1

Just a heads up on the bass. The season isn't open yet:smile: Well into June before it opens. Many of the perch may still be within 15 ft. of water right now. launch at Deans and head north all along the shoreline and keep your eyes open for schools. small jigs with minnow or spikes (maggots) fished either as drop shot or from pencil bobbers or drag the jig along bottom with small plastics. Drift until you find a school  then stay out away from them and cast back toward them.  Try to minimize noise especially when the anchor goes in if you anchor up near a school. The water can be quite clear much of the time so they spook easily. Hope for (and look for ) murky but not muddy water.

I believe catch and release is OK until season opener third Saturday in June. Haven't fished for them "on purpose" in years:lol: I think most of the largemouths will be found at the extreme north end of the lake from there.

Edited by Sk8man