With the holiday weekend approaching, boaters/fishermen need to be on their toes. Water is just about at 2017 levels (depending on wind), which puts shore debris into the water.

Jefferson County has established a "No Wake" idle speed zone within 300 ft of shore, but it goes largely ignored. Lots of boaters have no clue how to minimize their wakes, or just refuse to care. It's not just about shoreline erosion, but also about structures such as boat houses and docks. As the cruisers come out, things will get worse before they get better.

As a result, I watch lots of boat damaging debris, like timbers and logs that have been washed out of boathouses, or from damaged cribs and docks, flowing in the current downstream. Tough to see in the daylight, impossible at night.

Believe it or not, some folks still operate up and over plane in the dark. That's a lot of confidence in your hull and lower unit.

Well said sir, and I believe st Lawrence county from krings down river is 600’ from shore no wake. Lots of people also fishing for bass the last few weeks around the LOTI area. Again people are just ignorant of the law or simply can’t read. Can’t fix stupid. I say charge out of state guys a fortune for a license if they want to ignore the rules.

my boat is still in the barn. waiting to fish..... to much debris for me to put my boat and safety of myself and others in jeopardy..... damage to my boat and shore line just isn't worth it... if I fish it wil be with my 14 footer on a small lake till the water goes down some.... I hope to be in by the week of july….haven't seen any boats in cape Vincent all weekend... maybe some people are getting wise

What are the restrictions for speed in the st Lawrence now? My dad is going up their for 2 weeks in June

..I put my boat in,..trolling  around picking up debris....It does seem in my area ( Clayton) less debris than 2017 so far.

Silverfoxcharters.net

I was Fishing Grenadier island the past 3 days.  Western end down the bridge.  Nothing. Spoons, stickbaits, plastics, 2ft shallows out to 20ft, dropoffs and flats - no action. 

Some crap floating, not as much as I expected.   Will be back in 7 days, hopefully the bite will be better.

When I read the state of emergency it said it does not apply to communities along the St. Lawrence River and no wake 5 mph limit within 1000' of shore for the lake only. I'm sure there has to be one on the river but I haven't come across it yet.

Edited by Chas0218

2 hours ago, Chas0218 said:

When I read the state of emergency it said it does not apply to communities along the St. Lawrence River and no wake 5 mph limit within 1000' of shore for the lake only. I'm sure there has to be one on the river but I haven't come across it yet.

There are signs along the road in clayton saying 300`

Here is the site I got my info from:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-declares-state-emergency-eight-counties-impacted-lake-ontario-flooding

Here is the part depicting what is required:

The Governor also directed the Commissioner of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to implement a 5 mile per hour speed limit, where the Commissioner finds it appropriate, to control wakes along the Lake Ontario shoreline in the affected counties as part of the state's ongoing response to coastal flooding in the region. Beginning today, vessels operating within 1,000 feet of shore, unless otherwise directed by a County Declaration, must observe a 5 mile per hour speed limit to reduce impacts to shoreline residences and infrastructure caused by wave action and to promote safe boating. The no wake zone does not apply to communities along the St. Lawrence River.

Edited by Chas0218

Thank you for answering my question!

Here is the site I got my info from:
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-declares-state-emergency-eight-counties-impacted-lake-ontario-flooding

Here is the part depicting what is required:
The Governor also directed the Commissioner of the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to implement a 5 mile per hour speed limit, where the Commissioner finds it appropriate, to control wakes along the Lake Ontario shoreline in the affected counties as part of the state's ongoing response to coastal flooding in the region. Beginning today, vessels operating within 1,000 feet of shore, unless otherwise directed by a County Declaration, must observe a 5 mile per hour speed limit to reduce impacts to shoreline residences and infrastructure caused by wave action and to promote safe boating. The no wake zone does not apply to communities along the St. Lawrence River.

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

Typical bureaucratic bull.  It's 1000 ft Lake Ontario, 300 ft  on the river in Jefferson County, and 600 ft St Lawrence county. Must be that my shoreline is half a valuable as one in St. Lawrence county and less than a third those on the lake.

Distance was locally determined by County Legislatures. Looks to me like they were relying on the GOOD SENSE of the boating public. Come watch the circus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Prof T said:

Typical bureaucratic bull.  It's 1000 ft Lake Ontario, 300 ft  on the river in Jefferson County, and 600 ft St Lawrence county. Must be that my shoreline is half a valuable as one in St. Lawrence county and less than a third those on the lake.

Distance was locally determined by County Legislatures. Looks to me like they were relying on the GOOD SENSE of the boating public. Come watch the circus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You aren't kidding, I was surprised they made sure to leave out the St. Lawrence. of all places. I would have thought the river and bays would be the mandatory areas for the speed restrictions.

we are in cape Vincent for the weekend we have a 2nd home up here.. there are signs up on 12e that say no wake 300 feet ……. which applies to Jefferson county I am not sure about st Lawrence county but I am almost positive it applies there too... cape Vincent and clayton are all 5 mph....