People who steal stuff from boats or trailers

There are two parts to bearing buddies (or other bearing protectors of the same type).

The main part is the bearing buddy which press fits onto the hub in place of the grease cap that normally taps onto the center of the hub. This part has a spring loaded center piece, similar to a syringe plunger, which has "O" ring seals around it. There is a spring outside the center piece that puts pressure on it. When grease is pumped into the grease fitting, that center piece gets pushed out against the spring tension by the grease. The proper amount of grease is in the hub when it is pushed out to almost fully compress the spring, but not quite. You don't want to pump grease beyond that point because once the spring is fully compressed, trying to pump in more grease will force it past the inside bearing seal or force the seal out partially which will cause loss of pressure by allowing the spring to push more grease past the seal (making a mess). Once that happens, water will be able to migrate into the bearing housing and that will eventually damage the bearings. As long as that spring maintains pressure on the plunger piece, the grease is pressurized and it will not allow water into the bearing when you launch. This also keeps grease on the inside bearing seal to keep dirt from migrating in between the seal and the shaft which would cause premature seal failure. Only a very small amount, if any, grease will normally leak from the inner seal.

It is normal, however for some grease to leak out past the "O" ring seals around that spring loaded plunger part. That is why the plastic grease caps (the second part) are needed to keep the grease that leaks past those "O" rings from flinging out all over everything. The proper way to maintain the right amount of grease in the hubs is to remove the caps occasionally and check to see that the center plunger part is being held out against the pressure of the spring. It should rock slightly back and forth if you press in on one side and then the other. When pumping in grease watch that center plunger piece and you will see it slowly push out against the spring. Pump in grease until the spring is almost but not completely compressed. Also you will want to use an old rag to wipe out the grease that has accumulated under the plastic grease cap.

I have had the grease caps disappear (get stolen) on me. Once when it was stored in a farmer's barn who stored boats over winter. And once or twice at a launch. You can still travel without them but if you notice one missing, you might want to wipe out the grease that has accumulated behind the cap.

My trailer is from 1990 and I have had it since 1996. The bearing buddies and bearings on it are the original ones. I just occasionally pump in Quick Silver marine grade wheel bearing grease one or two times per season. This is with 10 to 20 or more trips per year that are one to two hours one way.