Seneca seneca NLT

Today we fished the same water as yesterday with the same lures. Boated 5 fish. Caught one that was 8lb and change. Was 4th on the board this morning probably gone now.

One more chance in the morning.

If they are biting one rod is enough.If they are not biting one rod is to many.....

How did you guys do this morning?  I was only able to fish Saturday and Sunday, tough going for us both days.  We boated 5 Lakers and one dink LL on Saturday and 3 Lakers Sunday.  

We were jigging both days, put in a long 13 hr day on Sunday.  The strange thing we noticed was the insane number of fish showing up on our screens and chasing our jigs.  Despite this they were VERY reluctant to hit anything.  From 55 FOW out to 160 we saw huge numbers of fish, same story each drop of the jig -they would rise off the bottom slowly and then chase up 30 or 40 feet eventually backing off and settling back on the bottom.  Everything we caught also had attached lampreys or fresh wounds.

I'm thinking these were mostly small lakers maybe too small to actually hit and get hooked by the jigs?  We boated 2 in the 6-7lb range and everything else was 18" or less.  We actually saw fewer fish last weekend on Cayuga but the ones we did see we're big, healthy and hitting aggressively.

Hopefully this means in a year or 2 all of these Seneca lakers will grow up and the fishing might be halfway decent.

Edited by cronoticed

Fished this morning the same water we fished the last two days. We are trollers. Lake was flat. Ended up with one hit and one rainbow 20". All lamprey scared up.... Threw it back... 

Had just a OK screen. We did see some fish but no bait in the area. Strange lake you could put in a waypoint on some fish. get turned around and they would be gone. Also I noticed the fish had a yellow sheen to them.Not a white color on the bellies. 

As far as I can tell we ended up 2nd in senior division. Our 8 and change laker was the 8th largest fish caught.

All it takes is one...

fish were def on the move on the north end  . Hit 11 Saturday am, all lakers and one LLS . Biggest lakers just over 6. Ran to Kashong Sunday am after a slow hr at Bellhurst . Only hit 3 small fish there . Came back North and set up a different troll . Found active fish in bait pods and hit 5 decent size lakers and a brown in half hr. Took a break about 130, went back to same waypoints to blank screen in that area with one fish . Pulling wire took almost every fish. My daughter and stepson helped make up a crew and they had a great time 

IMG_20190526_072053_01.jpg

IMG_20190526_110909.jpg

IMG_20190526_052823.jpg

IMG_20190526_111102.jpg

Edited by blueghost1

fish were def on the move on the north end  . Hit 11 Saturday am, all lakers and one LLS . Biggest lakers just over 6. Ran to Kashong Sunday am after a slow hr at Bellhurst . Only hit 3 small fish there . Came back North and set up a different troll . Found active fish in bait pods and hit 5 decent size lakers and a brown in half hr. Took a break about 130, went back to same waypoints to blank screen in that area with one fish . Pulling wire took almost every fish. My daughter and stepson helped make up a crew and they had a great time 
IMG_20190526_072053_01.thumb.jpg.2a4ee323d8c34240bb53f539775b732a.jpg
IMG_20190526_110909.thumb.jpg.108081fb20ff3715a37cb39652e073d5.jpg
IMG_20190526_052823.thumb.jpg.d90b985059a2ea310426ec1940c72202.jpg
IMG_20190526_111102.thumb.jpg.63b0631531061263b84f46bb04ee3501.jpg

Is your boat a white soft top trophy? I think I saw ya bringing in a small one just north of glass factory around 1:00 on wire. That’s funny

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Another disappointing derby.  Day 1 fishing was ok minus the waves.  Days 2 and 3 were the worst fishing I have had in my 21 years of fishing the derby.  I think I have an explanation for it.  I believe there was an algae bloom that started after the heavy rains we had Saturday night. This is probably an active time for farms spreading fertilizer sadly.  I was looking at the Hobart water quality buoy data http://fli-data.hws.edu/clarkpt/seneca/ and there was a clear spike in chlorophyll levels.  Especially in the 30-60 ft range which is where I do most of my lake trout fishing.  I think this either made the fish here non- active,  they could't see the bait as well, or they left those depth ranges entirely.  Lake trout fishing had been decent in the couple weeks leading up the derby.

The brown trout collapse is the most worrying.  There were barely enough to fill the leaderboard this year.  2.86lbs made the board.  I had caught upwards of 50 brown trout just off the docks around my house by this time last year.  Biggest maybe only 5 pounds or so.  So far this year I have not even seen a brown trout.  I have read they are the most susceptible to lamprey predation so that would have to be the number one suspect.  I also did not see any small recently stocked brown trout swimming around the shore last spring like years past so I think they either were not stocked in my area (mid lake west side) or they didn't survive long after stocking.  Hopefully the lamprey treatments done last year were successful.  Unfortunately it will take a few years to know.

Edited by shaneo19

We had a decent turn out for the derby Saturday was the best day we caught  22 lakers and 3 salmon. Bites started off quick, cowbells and gambler rigs kept us busy but nothing over 6lbs, fished from 3 till 8 on Saturday night and we caught our money fish.. 120ft Of water 80ft down the rigger popped and we got a  8.71 laker off a gold nbk mag pattern by reel rage, we worked deeper water then shot up to 70ft where the downrigger started shaking we pulled it up and had another laker in the 8lb range off a gambler rig.. storm rolled in so we left Sunday came and we caught 5 in the morning and 5 at night all in the 2-4lb range.. Monday the first fish of the morning was a 6 1/2 laker that my girlfriend would get 4th in women’s with. Gamblers were taking majority of the fish reel rage spoons in gold blanks seem to take a few fish over 4lbs, 3 colors of leadcore took both smaller salmon and smaller lakers with scorpion spoons... a lot of fish just not a lot of takers.. tons of bait and stuffed fish as usual leads me to believe to poor fishing 

41E0B501-8699-4691-9A36-C021FDDB03CF.jpeg

57FC39B5-7EA7-42EE-A5AF-941B5BE7ECAE.jpeg

763A62AB-3B0B-4D80-9F96-F7CD2BF629E0.jpeg

F57736D1-10A0-4EDB-B13C-5268ACBDCF35.jpeg

Edited by Roys Boys