No wake

“Climate change” “heavy rainfall”. What a joke.
Funny how all the fields in Hamlin are dry, plowed and disced and ready for planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 6/15/2019 at 5:44 PM, mudflat said:

How quick we forget :

Record-low water levels, rise in algal blooms among concerns linked to changing Great Lakes climate

by Tim Anderson ~ February 2013 ~ Stateline Midwest »
In December, water levels on lakes Michigan and Huron reached an all-time recorded low.
And concerns about this trend have never been higher — as reflected in much of the discussion at a January meeting in Chicago that explored the new Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement.
For the first time in its 41-year history, the binational pact makes adapting to climate change a priority for action on both sides of the border. 
Though they have always fluctuated, the recent low readings in lakes Michigan and Huron have led many to conclude that “we have reached a tipping point,” noted John Nevin of the International Joint Commission (IJC), with warmer air and water temperatures leading to increased evaporation of Great Lakes waters.changingglclimate.gif
“The commission is very concerned about it,” Nevin said at the meeting, which was sponsored by the IJC as well as the Alliance for the Great Lakes and Consulate General of Canada in Chicago.
But can concerns about lower water levels and other climate-change impacts be translated into meaningful action? 
As many meeting speakers and participants noted, part of the challenge for Great Lakes policymakers is taking action in the face of many unknowns — how much the climate will change in the coming decades, for example, and how it will impact the ecosystem.
Current forecasts of lake levels, Nevin said, show that they will be lower than normal over the next 30 years, but remain within the six feet of fluctuating levels recorded during different periods of the 20th century. 
“Beyond 30 years,” he said, “ it is unknown.”

https://www.csgmidwest.org/policyresearch/0213glclimate.aspx

We blamed "climate change" for low water levels in 2013 and now we blame it for high water in 2017 and 2019.

Problem is our "knowledge" is limited but we like to think we have everything figured out.

Thank you for posting this. I remember reading this report about how it will take over 30 years to rebound, and watching Lake Michigan rebound over 1 winter the very next winter. What more proof do we need that they are feeding us BS, and why must they always hold themselves above Mother Nature? 

12 hours ago, whaler1 said:

“Climate change” “heavy rainfall”. What a joke.
Funny how all the fields in Hamlin are dry, plowed and disced and ready for planting.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fields in our area are already planted and have 4"-8" corn sprouts already. It isn't the rain screwing Lake Ontario shorelines. 

Someone show me the NOAA data (not that it is anymore accurate/skewed than others) where it shows there is 27" more rain than last year.

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Great-Lakes-Water-Levels/Water-Level-Forecast/Weekly-Great-Lakes-Water-Levels/ 

Lake level.JPG

Here is another one for all of you that want to claim "Climate Change". Explain to me how the graph shows Erie on a steady decline following past year trends but yet Ontario doesn't. Only reason I can think of is the IJC must be holding back water. As there isn't anything that can hold back water in Erie. If you follow the link it will show the trend in all the lakes except Ontario. They were holding water back in early April when they shouldn't have been and now look at the mess we all have. Now they can't keep up with what is flowing in. 

https://www.lre.usace.army.mil/Missions/Great-Lakes-Information/Great-Lakes-Water-Levels/Water-Level-Forecast/Monthly-Bulletin-of-Great-Lakes-Water-Levels/

1319324082_Lakelevel2.thumb.JPG.cd953e0d6ba8d2460e77efef6d71269c.JPG

1624221784_LakeErie.thumb.JPG.7a1ae21e2462035ce80afa0e598f03c5.JPG1369991733_Lakeontario.thumb.JPG.e53fc836a4f3457704c024f5dc0b5152.JPG

Edited by Chas0218

I also want to point out they started holding water back in the middle of 2018 Nov. my guess is for the energy demand come winter.

Edited by Chas0218

It would be nice to see a Mesina Dam discharge rate chart to compare, as well as a water level chart for the SLR below where the Ottawa River empties into the SLR. And also something that indicates what is considered flood level below the Ottawa River.

Edited by muskiedreams

2 hours ago, muskiedreams said:

It would be nice to see a Mesina Dam discharge rate chart to compare, as well as a water level chart for the SLR below where the Ottawa River empties into the SLR. And also something that indicates what is considered flood level below the Ottawa River.

Here you go!

2019 - https://ijc.org/en/loslrb/watershed/outflow-changes

2018- https://ijc.org/sites/default/files/2019-01/FlowChanges2018.pdf

I don't know why they couldn't (or didn't) increased the flow at Mesina between mid Nov. and the end of Feb. to keep the lake level from rising so much during that time. Unless maybe there would be a problem with ice flow in the SLR, or flooding due to ice blockages on the lower SLR, or some other ice related issue. It seems like they allowed the lake to rise too much during the winter and then the high amount of melt off and rain in the spring just snowballed on top it all. There was only a short time between mid Feb. and mid Mar. that it leveled off. That was when we had a prolonged cold spell.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the US Coast Guard is not enforcing the no wake restriction..... I just watched multiple boats and jet skis leave and return to Irondequoit Bay. They came in all the way to the channel on plane and left and immediately throttled up with the coast guard right around....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW Lake Erie is highest Ive ever seen it ,no electric in marina due to electric lines stretched and under water, Port Authority built 1 foot risers they installed on a lot of the fixed docks and installed 6 inch PVC over a lot of the uprights due to boats rubrails being higher than the standoffs. Also heard the USACE told them they expect Erie to be this high for at least a few years, Doesn't sound too promising  as we all know  shyt runs downhill or in this case, over the falls and headed to Lake O

Edited by Tradman

• 1 month later...

It is starting to look like high water will be the new norm. At least for the next few years. As far as I have heard, all the water from the upper lakes must drain through Lake Ontario. And I think that the only place where the flow can be controlled is the dam at Massena, NY. And they only have limited control. I don't know if they can conceivably let any water into the Mississippi and there is flooding problems there already.

Maybe the Russians are causing the weather changes, or maybe aliens (the kind from other planets).

https://news.yahoo.com/floods-wreaking-havoc-great-lakes-060051539.html

Edited by muskiedreams
Added news link

9 hours ago, muskiedreams said:

It is starting to look like high water will be the new norm. At least for the next few years. As far as I have heard, all the water from the upper lakes must drain through Lake Ontario. And I think that the only place where the flow can be controlled is the dam at Massena, NY. And they only have limited control. I don't know if they can conceivably let any water into the Mississippi and there is flooding problems there already.

Maybe the Russians are causing the weather changes, or maybe aliens (the kind from other planets).

https://news.yahoo.com/floods-wreaking-havoc-great-lakes-060051539.html

The limited control is BS.  They have cut back from 10,600 to 10,000 for no reason.  There is NO flooding down stream and yet the are cutting back with the lake still way above average.  They can try and blame flooding on the weather but this time it will be very apparent that it is mismanagement of the lake level. 

38 minutes ago, Frogger said:

I heard that a local town supervisor has been elected to sit on the IJC board. Sounded promising to create change from the s... show that’s been going on over there with managing lake levels. Sounded like he’s the voice that’s been missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is true.  The Greece Town Supervisor Bill Reilich was appointed this week to the board along with another Canadian member. 

4 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The limited control is BS.  They have cut back from 10,600 to 10,000 for no reason.  There is NO flooding down stream and yet the are cutting back with the lake still way above average.  They can try and blame flooding on the weather but this time it will be very apparent that it is mismanagement of the lake level. 

That change might be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of water that is built up in and constantly flowing from the upper lakes. Not to mention the amount of water that is constantly going into all the lakes. It might take years with favorable precipitation amounts to get the lake levels down to more normal levels. I am wondering if they might have to lower outflow even more during the winter so there isn't problems with ice.

8 minutes ago, muskiedreams said:

That change might be a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of water that is built up in and constantly flowing from the upper lakes. Not to mention the amount of water that is constantly going into all the lakes. It might take years with favorable precipitation amounts to get the lake levels down to more normal levels. I am wondering if they might have to lower outflow even more during the winter so there isn't problems with ice.

They should leave it at 10,600 until the lake returns to historical average then cut back as long as there is not flooding in Montreal.  If the upper great lakes are all way above average, they should take more water out to account for the higher amounts coming in.  The Army Corps of engineers website shows the lake being higher than last year in the winter.  We are screwed....