5.7 mercurser vacuum

Zinger11

To the best of my knowledge the "over fill " line is on the front of the carb and goes back to the fuel pump ,not the valve cover. Why would they have raw fuel possibly being dumped into the valve train ? Most Mercruisers have a hose on each valve cover that goes to the spark arrestor air filter. Any oil-residue that is generated by the engine that ends up in the valves covers is pushed and drawn towards the carb where it gets burnt , in theory with the gas.  Not aware of any vacuum lines that would be attached to a valve cover , if anything there would be pressure not vacuum associated with the valve covers. So if its a 4 banger and only has one valve cover then leave it there. Doesn't hurt to clean the metal "air cleaner ' maybe wash out with old gas or carb cleaner , then wash-soak in a old bucket with dishwashing detergent.  

What carburetor is on it? It is possible if someone put an automotive Q-Jet on it and utilized the PVC valve & hose, but it is not anything factory. Picture would say a thousand words.

I'll eat crow on that one. Some, but not many with the Mercarb two barrel did have a PVC valve system & that's what is on the end of that hose. No need to plug it , replace the valve if you think there is an issue.

• Like 1

My merc has a 2brl carb she flows 500 cfm and yes mine has the pcv valve, eliminating crank case pressure when work hard for long periods of time or for when the old girl gets tired and a rebuild is near or a rering job is needed

I'll eat crow on that one. Some, but not many with the Mercarb two barrel did have a PVC valve system & that's what is on the end of that hose. No need to plug it , replace the valve if you think there is an issue.
The thing that was throw me off is my RPMs aren't going that high and it seems to be running a little rich

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app