We're they right ?

Environmentalists were pushing the 2014 plan for environmental reason . They said the current policy was hurting the ecosystem of the lake . 

I haven't seen green water like this since pre zebra mussel . And the 80s . And the fishing as well .  

We use to get spring kings along  the entire south shore . After the zebras showed up  , the spring kings migrated to the west and and the lake erie /Niagara flow .  We had that dark black dead water.  . 

Something to consider . 

The reason the lake has green water is probably all the run off and high water. I know everyone hates the high water but it sure makes the lake heathy. Not only does the rain wash nutrients in to the lake from run off, but with the high water wave action has new shore to pick up dirt and wash it back in to the lake. Think about it normally the waves wash the same well washed rocks and does pick up much dirt or nutrients. But now when a wave even a small one crashes it hits me untouched areas. All that is washed in the lake. Then even when the water goes down most if it settles out and is there on the bottom for a while. So now we had it in 2017 some of that is still left then we get it again this year. My guess is this is very healthy for the lake. And as far as the salmon being spread out down the lake that one is mostly because lake Erie stayed cold so long this spring. With out the warm water flow at the West end the bait did not rush there like it normally does, it instead moved in to the colored water all along the shore that warms first. And the salmon just followed it . That's my take on it no clue if I am right but seems to sense to me .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Show me where the Environmentalists of 2014 predicted water transparency changes caused from a rise in water levels. Never saw that discussed. Why would would new water transparencies be expected to be permanent? I agree with bluegiller that disturbance is causing the transparency changes. Are we rooting for further disturbance to maintain these levels of new water transparency that benefit fishing? Because I'd guess that be subsequent new higher highs.  

The reason I think the water is green is the nutrients that are in it that support the bottom of the food chain . I'm curious to see what happens moving forward . 

Think about it , high water 2017 , fantastic king fishing 2018 .  Best since pre zebra . My have nothing to do with it but it might . 

No mind you , I'm not a marine biologist or an environmental scientist , or do I play one on TV . 

But my guess is the folks who proposed this in the first place are . 

Obama, Cuomo and others just used that to push it thru for the economic windfall. 

Last year (non flood year) I noticed more green water in the eastern bay than I've seen in looong time.  I had separately heard zebra mussles were down or at least had reached some sort of equilibrium.  I can't remember where I heard that but it had some legitimacy behind it wherever I heard it.  Who knows.  High water for sure is going to influence water clarity. 

Zebras and quaggas have plateaued, and gobies eat them and are moving deeper. This has happened independent of the high water levels.

Not all the “nutrients” currently entering the lake are good ones. My gut says that run off of legacy contaminants will increase because of the flooding.

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

The environmentalists wanted fluctuating water levels to promote wetland growth. Their study found wetlands were diminishing all around the lake and the best way to bring three back was to have more fluctuation in the lake level. They have done a great job fluctuating on the high end but a lower lake in the late fall could do a lot more for the wetlands and the homeowners/ business owners. Like Abe states, Zebras and Quaggas have plateaued.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

29 minutes ago, rdebadts said:

Zebras and quaggas have plateaued, and gobies eat them and are moving deeper. This has happened independent of the high water levels.

Not all the “nutrients” currently entering the lake are good ones. My gut says that run off of legacy contaminants will increase because of the flooding.

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

Agreed. Good Point.

Like Brian, I'd like to see more on the low end but that isn't likely with the shipping interests on the lakes.

Water is naturally blue and generally darker as the lake gets deeper.  It means there's very little particulate suspended or dissolved  in the water.

Cloudy green usually signals algae growth, low oxygen & lots of nutrients.  Neon green signifies "whiting" where calcium carbonate forms i.e. changes in water temp, low carbon dioxide & increases in photosynthesis.  Blue-green generally means algae blooms.  Browns denote "crap" in the water.