Clip-on Dipsey Diver Technique

So I happened to see this technique on a YouTube video a couple weeks ago, not sure if it's news to ppl here or not. But I figured I'd give a quick review of my first run with it yesterday. So on my wire diver setups, I tied on 30ft (you could do longer if you wanted) of 65lb braid and then a 10ft flouro leader to the end of the wire. Then you attach red OR-16 heavy releases (ones with the pin in the middle) to the front and back of the dispey diver. You attach the dipsey to the braid (double wrap the clips and leave 8" or so of slack in between them) and then deploy the dipsey like normal and unclip it like an inline planer when you're bringing it in. I attached the braid on top of my 1000ft of wire so my reel was still calibrated correct I just zero it out once I clip on the dipsey and let out whatever amount of line I need. You still have all the benefits of a wire diver setup but now you can have as long of a leader as you want without the need to handline in fish. Also makes pre-rigging and storing dipsey setups easier as you don't need to have the dipsey attached to the rod anymore. Only managed to get 1 salmon on the dipsey yesterday but it tripped the dipsey just like normal, we removed it as it was coming in with no problems and landed the fish. Offshore no longer has the patent on the red clips so I bought a box of 10 knockoffs clips with rings for $12 on ebay and they worked fine. Only negative of the setup I can think of is with 40ft of line out my baits are prolly running a little higher then the dipsey but you can always compensate for that by setting the dipsey a couple feet deeper than you're targeting. 

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, whycanteye said:

Very good description we have been doing this on Erie for years for walleye's

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I figured it wasn't new to a lot of people, but I still see the occasional question about dipsey leader lengths on here and videos with ppl handlining in fish because they want to run long leaders behind their dipseys. I debated on changing to slide divers to be able to run longer leaders but I already have a bunch of  dipsey divers so this saved me from having to purchase a bunch of new slide divers. Also slide diver setups still need to be stored on the rod which can be a pain sometimes. 

I figured it wasn't new to a lot of people, but I still see the occasional question about dipsey leader lengths on here and videos with ppl handlining in fish because they want to run long leaders behind their dipseys. I debated on changing to slide divers to be able to run longer leaders but I already have a bunch of  dipsey divers so this saved me from having to purchase a bunch of new slide divers. Also slide diver setups still need to be stored on the rod which can be a pain sometimes. 
Was the video by greg amiel by chance? When i was at the lotsa salmon school 2 years ago it seemed like he did this. I went to slide divers since i fish solo a lot but you make a good point about having dipsy's and using them. I have my share of dipsy's

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never being able to leave well enough alone, I have retrofitted my Chinook Divers with Sam's Pro releases.....

Same setup Anglers Avenue video shows for inline boards ( which I use on my Church boards)   Any lead length I want, no diver drag fighting fish.  Running Big Game 30 lb. mono ahead of the wire.. The releases are loose enough to pivot as diver angle changes.  OR-16's in the back.

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.d9c41f379d704ce8e824618a6b148318.JPG  

Edited by J.D.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:20 PM, Tyee II said:

There is another technique guys use called S-Biner Dipseys. Just make a loop in you wire or braid and clip a small S-Biner clip to it. 

5walleyesS-binerRig_08072015_202926.jpg

That's a pretty good idea... I noticed if I don't double loop the red clips even the 65lb braid will slip through and cause the dipsey arm not to release. That prolly wouldn't be and issue using those S clips, I just wonder how difficult it is to remove the dipsey with a big fish on the other end? I could see the clip and loop becoming a little awkward to remove with an uncooperative fish on. I run inline planer boards so everyone on my boat is very familiar with the OR-16 clips and I know they come off easily under tension if looped properly. 

Edited by FishingFool34

On 6/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, J.D. said:

Never being able to leave well enough alone, I have retrofitted my Chinook Divers with Sam's Pro releases.....

Same setup Anglers Avenue video shows for inline boards ( which I use on my Church boards)   Any lead length I want, no diver drag fighting fish.  Running Big Game 30 lb. mono ahead of the wire.. The releases are loose enough to pivot as diver angle changes.  OR-16's in the back.

This idea I like! Gives you the option to change lead length like the Slide Diver but unlike the slide diver can be easily removed & stored when not in use.

Started fishing Chinooks last year and really like them, much better then regular Dipsy IMO. 

I assume you are running a bead & inline swivel up from the lure like the Slide diver set up? or did you do something different? 

6 minutes ago, J.D. said:

No need for a swivel or bead. the or16 holds the diver where you set it.  

rig the diver just like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6XgPas3TaY

Ok got it, Thx! With the wrap around the OR16 no chance of the diver sliding down the line.

There is another technique guys use called S-Biner Dipseys. Just make a loop in you wire or braid and clip a small S-Biner clip to it. 
5walleyesS-binerRig_08072015_202926.thumb.jpg.3a19a432a756ff6a76806577a46afa70.jpg
Ok but the picture doesn't show the back end of the dipsey. So does the mono to the lure not connect to the back of the dipsey?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

21 minutes ago, garrymny said:

Ok but the picture doesn't show the back end of the dipsey. So does the mono to the lure not connect to the back of the dipsey?

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Leader is tied to the same loop that S Biner is hooked to. In the picture the leader is shown just above the dipsy on the right side of the photo.

17 hours ago, whycanteye said:

They don't need attached in the back only 1 clip on the arm

How does the arm trip if the line is only connected to the dipsey at one point? 

How does the arm trip if the line is only connected to the dipsey at one point? 
The pressure all work out and they trip fine especially with a vicious salmon strike. We do it on Erie for eyes and have no problem

1 minute ago, whycanteye said:

The pressure all work out and they trip fine especially with a vicious salmon strike. We do it on Erie for eyes and have no problem

I think I'd have to see it work firsthand before I'd try that... an untripped Mag dipsey with a ring, out 300' will rival the hardest fighting salmon in the lake. 

10 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

I think I'd have to see it work firsthand before I'd try that... an untripped Mag dipsey with a ring, out 300' will rival the hardest fighting salmon in the lake

on a slow day if we have a new guy out we'll yell fish on the dipsey and let him fight it back to the boat un-tripped.  usually only takes once for them to learn

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 4:25 PM, J.D. said:

I set one of these up earlier this season and ran it yesterday for the first time. 

We fished it both deep for kings and shallow for browns. Ended up taking 1 King and 3 Browns with it (although we we had a great brown bite on everything last night) 

Need to dial in the release tension a bit still as I had a couple that didn't trip when the fish hit but over all this is a nice alternative to the slide diver. Going to set up another today.

Thank you for posting this.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman
  • Like 1