Cayuga Jigging technique for Lakers

Enclosed another one from long point last week. Jigged up from 130 feet of water on a white jig with a pepper tube.. I underhand the jig out in the direction of boat float so jig shows up on graph when it gets near bottom.then jig a few times and reel up about 10 turns. If nothing back at it. When i cant see jig i start all over ajain. If i see one suspende i reel just above or pass. Watch for those lines coming after jig. There are plenty of lakers on bottom that arent visible on the graph. Great fun on light tackle.

lak5.jpg

• Like 6

If you see a streak on your fish finder heading towards your jig, do you change your retrieve in any way (reel faster / slower), or is it just more for the satisfaction of seeing/knowing one is coming up to take a look at your jig? 

When the streak gets close to your jig, i start to reel up until he takes it or turns back down. i then drop jig past him and start reeling up again.. Sometimes they will follow almost to the top before striking. fun to see it on your sonor.

1 hour ago, Guppy35 said:

If you see a streak on your fish finder heading towards your jig, do you change your retrieve in any way (reel faster / slower), or is it just more for the satisfaction of seeing/knowing one is coming up to take a look at your jig? 

It all depends on the angle of the streak. I've learned over time a fish that shoots up quickly for your jig is very likely to hit if you start reeling up.  Many times it will be more of a slow gradual rise off the bottom in which case I find it's best to continue on down and try your luck with bottom oriented techniques.

Not to revive the jigger vs troller because both can be successful but as a captain taking people out on Cayuga I routinely follow other people’s results and the days where I don’t do at least 50 percent better than someone who went out jigging is very few and it is very normal for me to haul in 8-12 pound fish that fight well and have a diversity of species but I believe both can be successful and it is about what you enjoy and after that it’s about improving your skill at finding and presenting proper lures... less about method more about skill of the fisherman

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The thing that makes jigging so much fun is your fishing one on one with the fish on light tackle and seeing there movement and  how they react to the jig and the biggest thing is your not dragging the fish in with the boat in gear .

• 2 weeks later...

Caught my first trout jigging back in '89 with my gramps and his fishing buddy don powers from Don's marina. Those older fellas knew how to get it done. Guess I'm still a little old school cause I still use depth finder my grandpa bought in mid 90's with technology now the new ones are incredible for sure but with jigging if you know depth and can keep it on the bottom(trolling motor or heavier jigs) and enough want to you'll fill ice box up pretty much whenever you go out. I'm never in a big hurry to get out at first light and always start shallow then work out deeper good luck and happy fishing 

On 6/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, lakerchaser said:

Enclosed another one from long point last week. Jigged up from 130 feet of water on a white jig with a pepper tube.. I underhand the jig out in the direction of boat float so jig shows up on graph when it gets near bottom.then jig a few times and reel up about 10 turns. If nothing back at it. When i cant see jig i start all over ajain. If i see one suspende i reel just above or pass. Watch for those lines coming after jig. There are plenty of lakers on bottom that arent visible on the graph. Great fun on light tackle.

lak5.jpg

What fish finder do you have that lets you see your jig?

I have a lowrance hds 5 ( no longer made ) that shows the jig in 150 feet of water as long as the jig is in the cone angle.If drift is too fast it will be out of cone half way down. Let jig go to bottom jig a couple times then start to reel up.The transducer is a 20 degree which is fairly narrow.