New to salmon trolling

2.5 works fine, 10 feet behind the ball works fine.  Spread your lures through the water column until you get dialed in and or put them where you mark fish.  100 feet of water is always worth checking out.

• Like 1

Worry about too slow, not too fast. 10-30' behind the ball. Like whaler said. Mix it up in water column and with lures. Spoon / FF / spinny / meat. Find em. See what they like, fine tune once bites come. Never leave fish to find fish. Keep something a touch deeper than the rest for the big boys. Watch for reports. Water temp / thermocline extremely important once it's setup. Bait usually holds fish. Have faith in your program.

Charter is a good way to do it, and I suggest BEFORE you go and spend $100's on tackle.

I've wasted more money upgrading tackle as I went up the learning curve, than the cost of a bunch of charters.

If you have free time, than yes 2.2 mph to 2.5 mph down speed is good.  Make sure your bait is in the right range of depth (staggered), and try slowing down and speeding up.

There's a whole bunch to learn about presentations and what lures to use on what lines and at what depths, as well as color and bait type depending on the season, as well as depending on the depth and time of day (or weather conditions).  Lots of variables, and that's what a charter will help you zero in on.

• Like 1

I'd recommend him too. Heard he is super coooooool.

I would recommend Silver Fox Charters. Great people, great fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 2

Assuming you have 2 rigger , an ok depth finder  , rods and  reels .

You need like 10 spoons in the right colors , maybe a flasher combo . 

Spoons...  Dream weaver and moonshine make nice spoons as others also .Get standard size,  maybe 2 mags 

Black silver green glow combos are best and most consistent . Look on here to get guys favorites .Glow frog is good for me also . Carbon 14 .   

A spin Dr  double crush glow white and atomic T 41 or  stud fly . 

Load you reel with 30# big game with 25 ft tippet of 15# then a ball bearing swivel . 30# to combat fleas . 

Don't forget the net . 

Depth finder in MANUAL mode .turn up sensitivity to max or just under . Select depth range 

Try to stay in the in-depth line as the other boats to start . 

When you get out there , slow to idle , 

Let line out to knot of tipper and clip in release . I rarely go less than 25 ft for leads . 

Run one rod on each rigger .  Put one down 30 , one 50 . Set drags have extra  pole handy with spoon to check boatside for speed often  . This is the hard part . Don't be afraid to play with the throttle . Kind of often till you get hit . 

Watch for bait / fish on finder . Don't concern yourself about the surface cluter top 15 ft . Adjust riggers to go thru and below bait . 

Drive boat with S Curves . And slow  turning a lot .this way , at least some of the time your lures Will be going the right speed . On the hit , land fish and go back thru same spot . Note direction of troll on strike.  If you have a hand held GPS , SOG is at least some help. 

This should get you started .  

Don't over  complicate this . KISS. 

You can always add  a dipsy  or stack lines . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 1