Went out about 4 for some R& D  . Nice chop on the water . Fish were just where I left them , 

75 to 100 , 40 to 70 down . 

3 quick hits for 2 salmon and one big laker .

Lake lays down and just one more hit . 

My new,rig responsible for 3 of the 4 hits 

One on black green glow spoon.  

Edited by HB2

Not good for me this afternoon 

Only managed 2 hit , one took my baithead  and rig . 

Not a good picture other than the Lakers on the bottom I try to stay away from . 

Back out in the AM if it's nice . 

I'll be out at 8am. Late sleepers coming. Lol

Not good for me this afternoon 

Only managed 2 hit , one took my baithead  and rig . 

Not a good picture other than the Lakers on the bottom I try to stay away from . 

Back out in the AM if it's nice . 

Silverfoxcharters.net

Was out at dawn to an east chop almost at my roughness limit , but I ventured out . 

Wind shifted from the south just after dawn and fish started to hit 

70  to 110 , 45 to 70 down 

I had 4 hits total and another good king falls pray to the Gary D rig . It has become my go to . Ken Frearson is the only other guy on the lake that has one ,but can't locate it on his boat :-) :-) . Landed 2 of the 4 . Had another good king to boatside and the leader broke , which is why I hate fluorocarbon . 

Fished till 8 and pulled lines 

KIMG0804.jpg

I hate it because it is brittle and breaks for no reason ,sometimes in the middle of the linewhere there are no knots . 

Takes no abuse whatsoever . Broken a fair amount of flasher fly 50# leaders . That should never break .

Have used a lot of brands and they all seem to do the same thing . I like the Drennen for fly fishing / trib tipper but it is,overtested. 

Has good qualities as it sinks and drags fly down when fly fishing . Or it is invisible under water.  

I hate it because it is brittle and breaks for no reason ,sometimes in the middle of the linewhere there are no knots . 
Takes no abuse whatsoever . Broken a fair amount of flasher fly 50# leaders . That should never break .

Have used a lot of brands and they all seem to do the same thing . I like the Drennen for fly fishing / trib tipper but it is,overtested. 

Has good qualities as it sinks and drags fly down when fly fishing . Or it is invisible under water.  

Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader is pretty indestructible stuff. I’ve been using it for years in salt water and fresh water and have had no issues. And I’m sure most guys using it will tell you the same. Your either using an inferior brand or to light of leader.....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bosun Cowboy said:

Seaguar Fluorocarbon leader is pretty indestructible stuff. I’ve been using it for years in salt water and fresh water and have had no issues. And I’m sure most guys using it will tell you the same. Your either using an inferior brand or to light of leader.....

That's all I use.

I have found that over the years, depending on the knot you use, you can damage the leader.  I use uni knots and if you do not lubricate the knot when you pull it tight, it will damage the leader.  

I use the same lines also. I'll be darned if I retie every trip though...lol

I use seagar and blood run flour leader.

Never have break offs with them.

If when I first tie the knot and if it doesn't sinch up good and tight , I retie.

I also will retie between trips ,as I think there is stress in a knot when its sitting there. But that's just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Silverfoxcharters.net

That's all I use.

I have found that over the years, depending on the knot you use, you can damage the leader.  I use uni knots and if you do not lubricate the knot when you pull it tight, it will damage the leader.  
I also use uni knots on my flourocarbon leaders. The heavier the leader the trickier it is to get the knot tight without damaging the material. What do you use to lubricate the knot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To lubricate .... spit 

I have used 10#  Seagaur  blue for fly fishing tipper and skein leader . 

Had it break in the middle where their are no knots . It rarely breaks at the knot .

Flour has no stretch , which is good for long lines  , but bad for leader . 

Not even close to as durable as Maxima ultragreen for that .

A flasher fly leader or meat rig   takes a lot of abuse .  50# should never break . But I have had it happen more than once . 

I'm lazy , I don't want to retie   every time I go out . 

As far as invisibility , that's not an issue most of the time . Maxima is pretty colorless. For me , it's a confidence thing as to why I use it . If I'm not getting hits , I wonder if that's the reason . 

Brands I've used 

Rio

Cabalas

Orvis mirage  , junk 

Climax 

Vanish , junk 

Stren

Seagaur  , not bad 

Drennen  , best so far 

So i guess the question is what brand are you using for leader material? what knots are you using? what pound test?

It is very rare that anything should break. When it does it because something damaged went back into the water that shouldnt have. I cant imagine not using fluoro for all of my leaders.

I landed a 25# carp with 4# maxima of my dock Fri night . Landed a 17# steelhead ,and others on 2# maxima from the genny . So I think my fishing style works for me . Many skein salmon /trout  on 4,6,8 maxims  . I will be playing a fish ,and the line ,fish shakes his head , and the Flouro  breaks . 

The only reason I can see to use floor is it's invisible , or the whip of a trolling fly .That's it . And it sinks a fly . 

Under most cases , stealth is not an issue . 

Flouro sinks , it's dense,  has high tensile strength,it hard  . Which makes it brittle . Any compromise weakens it dramatically . 

I don't have these problems with mono . 

And , it's expensive as all get out . 

Edited by HB2

If the leaders are breaking in the middle, it is more than likely frayed from rubbing on the net after landing a fish.  As for brands, Seaguar Blue label is awesome.  I tried the Trout and salmon stuff and it is good but not nearly as good as the blue label.  Vanish and P line were thrown in the trash after I tried them.  I retie my leaders every winter.  The only leaders that get retied during the season is one that is frayed.  I have extra leaders ready to go.  If one gets frayed, off it comes and a new one is put out.  I have plenty ready to go for the entire season. 

The only time I’ve had fluoro leaders break in the middle was this spring brown fishing. They both broke where my leader was bent around the guide at the rod tip for storage. I know I banged them a few times putting them away so assume that caused the damage.

Other than that, and a bad spool I bought for steelhead once, I’ve never had an issue.

I use fluoro leaders for all of my trolling rigs, leaders on my spinning rods and straight on most of my bait casters. Seaguar leaders and Sunline main.

2 hours ago, Traveling Circus said:

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/topic/152445-line-stretch-test-18-typesbrands/

Here's a little data on line stretch that might challenge the "fluoro don't stretch" myth. 

And a video on 10 lb fluoro stretch and deformation. 

As I recall ,  I read somewhere it will stretch , but not stretch back , which could be part if the problem . 

Middle of the winter when it was 0 for two weeks .

It use to be the only place to fish when it got like that  . 

Water gets clear green.  

But  I haven't been down there in 25 / years or more . 

I don't think Flouro was around back then 

One of my favorite places to fish .