HOW TO GET MORE PULL ON YOUR HOMEMADE PLANER BOARDS IDEA

The most popular plans for making up your own Dual Planer Boards posted on most Websites and shown in Fishing Magazines as linked below are the same plans and instructions.

http://www.quintefishing.com/make_your_ ... boards.htm

http://www.straitlineanglers.com/Articl ... Boards.htm

I made up the same pair but the problem I have especially trolling for Walleye at slower speeds is that I find that they tend to drag about 45 Deg off of the corner of the boat rather than off the side of the boat. I also found plans for 1 x 8 dual planer boards. Great if your boat has lots of room.

IDEA!

Make up a removable 2-3 Bolt (to hold in place) Sailboat Keel shaped (same length as board) with 1/4 inch or less Aluminium plate either angled on nose same as boards or ground to a point on from both sides. You could space 2 or 3 Bolts (siliconed) around 2 Inches from bottom using Wing Nuts. You would have to experiment to see what works better in attaching (the Inside or Outer Board). I will be making this up myself this Spring.

Has any fellow fisherman made up anything similar or can you add other ideas to get more pull.

A friend of ours in Oswego attached an 8# downrigger ball to the bottom of his boards to give them more pull. He has rather large boards too though. Not sure if this idea will work for you. I run otter boats and would not want to attach any weight to them. However, this may work for you. Good Luck.

I made 3 sets of wood boards before my current "store bought" boards. If you move the main eyelet towards the rear an inch or two It'll make a big difference in how they track. On another set, I bought 3 pieces of bar stock and clamped them together like an "H". I then molded some lead in the upper part of it, about 3/8" thick. I then cut it to the length of the inboard board, drilled & mounted it with some screws. Back in the days of my single wood board I bent the main line eyelet downward. All of them made a big difference in how they tracked.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

back in the day the homade were all we had as mentioned above tuning is key to each board before you install your permanent eyelet much like the bridal string on a kite. if your far from a lake use a small stream or river for current with a small screw eye till the best pull is achived.also go with 1x8 for better hight and visiabality. and 32inch is a good length but 28 will do fine. Also dont get too agressive in the side pull as this adds a lot more pressure to your mast and mounting area at base of mast. as i type this the kite bridal idea like the otterboats use could be added so in calmer conditions you could go for the adjustable spread quickly or in stall 2 or more permanent attachment eyes for same results

From your post I read that they "tend to drag about 45 Deg off of the corner of the boat rather than off the side of the boat."

Am I reading too much into trhis that youare running the boards "OFF THE CORNERS" and not off a mast in the front of the boat? :o

If that is the case if you put a mast forward - the boards will track off the side of the boat not behid by 45 degrees. Most all planer boards drag behind the mast somewhat. I don't think I have ever seen any boards run out 90 degrees from the side of the boat, though I could be mistaken.

CLarke