Sonar for back or the boat

After being on a charter during the LOC a few weeks ago and seeing how much easier it was it setting lines to where the fish were. So now I'm looking into a second sonar for the back. I'm currently running a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti. What is the best way to go as bout that ? Is there anyone who has a good sonar only ff ? Anything any of you guys prefer ? For now the Lowrance HDS is just out of the price range to get 2.

Also is there a Ram mount to mount a fishhawk on a cannon track?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 2 units on my boat a lowrance unit for gps and way points and a hummingbird back on the dog house fore sonar & ect. The 2 dont interfere with each other or the 4xd. Kicker gps gets run off Lowrance.

Network it!   Your Elite 7 TI has an NMEA 2K port. You can purchase another Elite 7, or another any other model with NMEA 2K and network these together.

Both units will share the same transducer. So you only have to purchase another head unit. Additional transducer not needed.

Network will also allow the two units to share waypoints and others data.

So if you are at the back of the boat and mark a waypoint on the graph it is instantly shared with the unit at the helm. 

Running a small NMEA network is very easy. Iots of info online regarding this. 

As for the mounting. On my rig I mounted the stern graph & fish hawk together. Section of track, Cisco electronics mount and a piece of starboard on top of the Cisco mount to create a larger platform for both units. 

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6937.JPG

Edited by rookie fisherman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, prayingmantis said:

After being on a charter during the LOC a few weeks ago and seeing how much easier it was it setting lines to where the fish were. So now I'm looking into a second sonar for the back. I'm currently running a Lowrance Elite 7 Ti. What is the best way to go as bout that ? Is there anyone who has a good sonar only ff ? Anything any of you guys prefer ? For now the Lowrance HDS is just out of the price range to get 2.

Also is there a Ram mount to mount a fishhawk on a cannon track?

Thanks for any help

I contacted fishawk about RAM mounting options earlier this year. They told me that the standard flat surface RAM mount fits the fishawk mount perfectly. I have one but haven't installed or tested it yet but this is the model # they were talking about, RAM-B-107-1U-238.

Edited by FishingFool34

Who's charter boat were you on out of curiosity?

I agree with the posters above. Stick with similar brands and network them. One transducer shared between units gives you no cross talk.

I love having my locator back there, and also my speed-n-temp display. I used a modified RAM Humminbird mount for my S-n-T because they didn't make an exact mount. It's easy to drill and tap holes or just drill and use locknuts if you can't find a mount that has your exact bolt pattern. You can even cut to fit with regular woodworking tools. I mounted mine right to the rigger I run the probe on with the micro RAM mount and it works great. I think the fishhawk has bluetooth capability, so you may only have to run power to the display or maybe even use an old phone or tablet.

Also, I bought a used 5" HDS 2 for 150 bucks and networked it with my existing HDS 3 units. I can get all the info I do on my other units, share waypoints, even steer my boat right where I'm doing the rigging. I've had my boats rigged this way for so long I feel naked on a boat that isn't:lol:

25 minutes ago, prayingmantis said:

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. I think I'm going with another Elite Ti and network them.

You won't be able to share sonar between 2 Ti but could do it with the new Ti-2 and between 2 ti 2; not only the sonar but the map and waypoints also and all by wifi

If your elite ti has wireless, just buy a tablet !!!

I have an HDS carbon with wireless and I bout a 11" tablet off Craigslist and it links through the lowrance wifi. I paid 50$ and have the ability to remotely control my front graph, in all aspects. Look into that before you drop the money !

• Like 1

Excellent point!
The only negative with with a tablet is the screen is not always easy under sunlight
Right on. I have a shelf system around my boat that I can easily move it to the shady side. I also have a uv blocker screen protector on my "to get list" but most of the time on the back works just fine.