Anyone have a good source for a fella to see how big boards are set up and run. I use small offshores and want to learn big boards too .Tried utube and all they want to show is catching fish, no tutorial.. all pics , go figure.. Thanks all, Mike

I’ll be running my big Aurora Lite boards this weekend. I’ll take some video and upload it to YouTube. 

The gist of it is this. You tow the big boards off a mast or roof. Big reels and pulleys. Tow line is usually some form of spectra or braid. 150-200lb rest. 

You let the boards out whatever distance you want. Mine are usually out 25-40yds off each side. 

You let your cooper or leadcore out. Half hitch a rubber band around the backing. You then insert that rubber band into a “clip” or “release” and attach it to your tow line. 

Then You open your rod spool and let line out...to send your release down the tow line towards the boards. You can run multiple rods off that tow line...keeping them spaced out. I often have 3 rods running off each board. 

When a fish hits it will typically snap that rubber band or pop that rubber out of the release. And you will hear your drag ripping. You then fight the fish. 

Edited by jigstick
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, greenboatluke said:

What’s your location?
I'm located in Ohio, lake erie area. I have the jest of letting out big boards on a towline but want to know the particulars mostly. How far back to run lures, spoons, types of releases, long line ,short line placement. Would really not want to tangle 6 lines for sure. We use small inlines now and I understand the V pattern and longest, deepest lines closer to boat also .  Thanks all for any and all advice, will be greatly appreciated.. 

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I've been running a set of homemade big boards for a long time, and would absolutely never switch back to inline boards. I have a 19' sylvan navigator, 4' mast on the bow, and currently use dacron line. I'm going to replace it with spectra soon though. I usually use 3 rods per side. The order that you set these up in is very important. The first rod out on each side will be your longest lines and shallower diving. I start them around 220' back. The next will be 15' shorter, so 205 back, then 190, etc. The longest line goes in the front rod holder. I spool the whole reel in mono, no braid at all, for dedicated board rods. Clip the mono directly into an Offshore release, and send it down the line until it's a couple feet from the board. Deploy the next line from the back of the boat, go UNDER the first rod, clip it on to the tow line, go back under the first rod, and put it in the 2nd rod holder. Let it out a little over halfway down the line. Repeat this for the 3rd rod. When you hook a fish, it'll either pop the line out of the release by itself, or you'll have to do it. Either way, pick the rod straight up, keep tension on it, and let that fish swing back to the center. Once it clears the inside line, then you can start reeling. The 15' spacing, plus the distance between the releases, combined with the deeper divers being on the inside gives you plenty of room to get the fish centered up. I start them at 220' back so if you get a fish on the outside rod, the other two simply get slid down closer to the board, then you set the one that just got a fish as your inside rod 15' shorter than the last. Once you get to where you're setting them under 100' back, reel that side in and restart around 220. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also with big boards run your deepest running line on inside toward boat and lighter as they get closer to the board. I run inline weights and leadcore like that and you can decide to change a lure,snap it from tow line and let it pull back. I have prince MasterCraft superski boards and they are incredible. Sometimes I run a dipsey on the very inside

I've been running a set of homemade big boards for a long time, and would absolutely never switch back to inline boards. I have a 19' sylvan navigator, 4' mast on the bow, and currently use dacron line. I'm going to replace it with spectra soon though. I usually use 3 rods per side. The order that you set these up in is very important. The first rod out on each side will be your longest lines and shallower diving. I start them around 220' back. The next will be 15' shorter, so 205 back, then 190, etc. The longest line goes in the front rod holder. I spool the whole reel in mono, no braid at all, for dedicated board rods. Clip the mono directly into an Offshore release, and send it down the line until it's a couple feet from the board. Deploy the next line from the back of the boat, go UNDER the first rod, clip it on to the tow line, go back under the first rod, and put it in the 2nd rod holder. Let it out a little over halfway down the line. Repeat this for the 3rd rod. When you hook a fish, it'll either pop the line out of the release by itself, or you'll have to do it. Either way, pick the rod straight up, keep tension on it, and let that fish swing back to the center. Once it clears the inside line, then you can start reeling. The 15' spacing, plus the distance between the releases, combined with the deeper divers being on the inside gives you plenty of room to get the fish centered up. I start them at 220' back so if you get a fish on the outside rod, the other two simply get slid down closer to the board, then you set the one that just got a fish as your inside rod 15' shorter than the last. Once you get to where you're setting them under 100' back, reel that side in and restart around 220. 

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1