Caught a big Tiger, looking for length estimates!

The first picture is right over my knees the second is held out.I know it is hard to tell from pictures. I decided to release the fish before measuring to reduce handling. I am glad I got it back in quickly but being my biggest fish I would love to have known.

I caught it out of a 12 foot Kayak that has a lot of room to move and walk around. But I wasn't comfotable with laying this fish on my bump board. Being able to easily get measurements has kept me out of tournaments I would like to fish. Any suggestions would be great!

20190605_091809.jpg

20190605_091816.jpg

• Like 1

Your hand is at the exact aspect ratio as the fish is in these photos. Measure your fingers width with your fingers in a similar configuration. Then measure how many times that distance can be distributed across the fish in the photo.

But really man, who cares. That fish is as big as the memory it has created for you when you shared the moment. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the replies! Generally when people ask how big they are I just say, they are that big. 

It was nice to catch a few today. In the last week I got skunked on Waneta Onandaga and a few times on Otisco. I can go back to work happy now either way!

• Like 1

Nice fish. Congrats. In my experience, tigers are shorter than pures of equal girth and head size. Tigers have shorter tail sections or something. I’ve handled lots of fish (way more pures than tigers)and I’m a very good judge of size in person, but some pictures can be deceiving. I think old mans guess is pretty good. Id say your fish is about 40”. Could be 42, could be 39.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have fished two tournaments in my yak. I got skunked in both but my plan was to leave the fish in the bag and paddle to a couple feet of water where i could stand up to measure it. I’m never more than 20 yards from shore in the yak anyway so it would take a few seconds to move. I gotta catch one first though [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

16 hours ago, Tyrrell said:

The first picture is right over my knees the second is held out.I know it is hard to tell from pictures. I decided to release the fish before measuring to reduce handling. I am glad I got it back in quickly but being my biggest fish I would love to have known.

I caught it out of a 12 foot Kayak that has a lot of room to move and walk around. But I wasn't comfotable with laying this fish on my bump board. Being able to easily get measurements has kept me out of tournaments I would like to fish. Any suggestions would be great!

20190605_091809.jpg

20190605_091816.jpg

all I can say is WOW that is a beautiful fish.