How would you run this

Private

ditch the kicker and run off the main - better prop bite on a big motor.  Couple trolling bags will slow you down just fine and you won't have to net around that kicker which is bound to cause problems when trying to net and set rods.

You might try locking kicker in a straight position then steer with big motor not running.  Likely won’t make tight turn but would work for most trolling applications.  If you need to turn tight tight fire up the main.  You are not out much $$$if it doesn’t work.

Fishnut hit the nail on the head-! Forget about all that stuff, I've tried all different ways and nothing works like remote steering. I went with the Python remote steer and have not looked back since. Ive paired it up with a ITroll and have a buddy in the military thats a genius when it comes to electronics and my ITroll will auto steer to way points. Only draw back i can see is you need to have the waypoints in the gps of your finder first. Best of luck with whatever way you choose...

I've been trolling with my 1996 90 hp. Merc 2 stroke since new.... never had a problem. Alternator keeps everything charged up.. not sure why you need the kicker.. Looks like it will be a pain in the a$$ with a good fish at the back of the boat..

Edited by J.D.

Is that kicker going to be big enough to push your boat? Judging by the main you have a 16'-18' fiberglass and the kicker looks like a 4hp 2 stroke. I would venture that the kicker won't do a whole lot for you and would end up running your main in any sort of chop/wind. I would try to mount the kicker a lot closer with different mount. The mount on the boat looks like it has 2 hinged portions. A deck mounted bracket would work a lot better and should still put the prop into clear water. How about a picture from the back of the boat showing how low the kicker prop is below the bottom of the boat.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:59 AM, J.D. said:

I've been trolling with my 1996 90 hp. Merc 2 stroke since new.... never had a problem. Alternator keeps everything charged up.. not sure why you need the kicker.. Looks like it will be a pain in the a$$ with a good fish at the back of the boat..

I thought the same thing for a few years, trolled with my 150hp 2 stroke main with a couple bags out and it did fine. $25 a trip in gas for the main seemed pretty decent also. Then I found a good deal on a 8hp 4 stroke kicker, now I troll the same amount of time for less than $5 a trip. Not to mention it's way easier to control speed and I no longer need trolling bags. Now I question why anyone would not have a kicker... 

Edited by FishingFool34
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...