State Police

17 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

https://www.sailfeed.com/2012/10/coast-guard-boardings-and-your-fourth-amendment-rights-part-1/

Good luck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

http://americanboating.org/pulled_over.asp

It is a state by state agreement and semi new development

"Now what do you do? Well, if you took a safe boating course in the last several years, some of the information you got about stopping, and boarding a vessel has changed. In years gone by, the only agency that could stop your vessel and board it, without a search warrant was the Coast Guard. Well, this isn't exactly so anymore.

Several states have signed compacts with the Coast Guard in this post 9/11 environment, whereas the Coast Guard has delegated some of their Federal powers to the state. Specifically, they now allow state law enforcement (and those state powers flow down to the local law enforcement officers) to board vessels.

So, now that we know that the likelihood is that the non-Coast Guard officer is mostly likely allowed to board our vessel (check with your state), what do you as the vessel captain do? The same exact things as if you are driving a car."

This has everything you want to know 636027339_Screenshot_20190610-102140_Google20Play20Store.thumb.jpeg.c701ba26a56625f33f12e2d3347c0e7d.jpeg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is a great app everyone who goes on the larger waters of the Great Lakes, finger lakes, and costal areas should have on their phone... besides emergency contact information it also has an emergency button that gives your exact gps coordinates to help in your rescue....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

I've been boarded twice by the Coast Guard. They don't seem to care about anything but safety equipment and condition of your vessel. They didn't try to find an infraction of some other type. It was over and done quickly and they seemed pretty friendly. They also gave me a piece of paper and told me to just hold it up if another CG vessel wants to board me, for the remainder of that year, and they will just ask to see life vests and then be on their way. The second time kind of sucked because they were just training some new recruits and used me as a training tool. Problem was we had eight rods out. Pull the divers, pull the copper, pull the riggers, PITA. Ticket for the tag not being on my throw able. Sent that in to the admiral with a picture of a receipt for a new throw able device and ticket was dropped. Still not a bad experience.

I've had a problem with authority all my life but I get the part where they don't want to do recoveries.

If there is enough interest I would be happy to arrange a special Lake Ontario United Finger Lakes courtesy inspection day with our vessel examiners in Ithaca.  We provide a sticker that lets everyone know the vessel has already been inspected and should result in a free pass on it from anyone seeking to stop or bother you at launch.  We do this as a courtesy from the United States Coast Guard auxiliary.  We do travel around to marinas doing it on Cayuga from time to time as well.  We could set it up at the launch ramp at Treman Marine Park...

• Like 1

I think I agree with most that these inspections are not a bad thing. Yea, if I’m sitting in my driveway and asked to board my boat, not that this would ever happen, but you get the jist, I’m not happy, but out on the water, it’s the right thing to do. Two years ago I was boarded. Allowed to keep trolling with auto pilot. Yep fish on. Two officers watched as we netted. 10 min total time. Said similar thing of keep paper for next time and off they went. Wouldn’t want their job, especially with what they go through but I do want to support them. Thanks Lewis863 for the inspection day idea. That’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not really surprised by the complaints here about be stopped. I realize that it is a pain to have to pull your lines in but whenever I have been checked,3 or 4 times ,the Officers have always just idled up and asked to see the stuff we are supposed to have.

4 out of the last 5 years we have been out in Charlotte Harbour and the Gulf of Mexico in our 21' CC.

Things can change very fast as Lake O does.

I don't mind getting checked as I have everything required.

That being said, 14 out of the last 15 years ,I have been stationed in a firehall with an 18' RHIB.

It really is a perk to be able to get out on the water and talk to people about safety.

Unfortunately every once in a while we end up out looking for someone who made possibly, a very small mistake.

This changes one of the greatest jobs in the world to a real ****ty day, real fast.

I have a lot of patience for the Police and Coast Guard as they spend a lot more time looking for people than we do.

At the end of the day , they are just trying to make everyone a little safer.

It only takes a split second to change a great day into something completely different.

Common sense usually goes a long way but some people just don't seem to get it.

Mitch.

• Like 1

I was straightening up the boat from the canandaigua lake Derby and after reading this post decided to check my safety gear. Pulled my water proof flare kit box out to check dates on flares . The expired date is October 2019 . So my question is, dose that mean I have to the end of the month or do they aspire on the 1st of the month? If they're good to the end of the month I'm good for the year as I put the boat up usually the second or third week of October.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 minute ago, fisherdude said:

I was straightening up the boat from the canandaigua lake Derby and after reading this post decided to check my safety gear. Pulled my water proof flare kit box out to check dates on flares . The expired date is October 2019 . So my question is, dose that mean I have to the end of the month or do they aspire on the 1st of the month? If they're good to the end of the month I'm good for the year as I put the boat up usually the second or third week of October.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good till November 

A flare serves as a night time or daytime visual distress signal that can be seen from long distance over water. Primary use is night though.  Find yourself broken down at night trying to get a boats attention a mile away you will be happy you have it and expired flares make good training .  

• Like 1

Common sense would tell you to hold the flare over the side of the boat and pointing away.:thinking:

It shouldn't take long to get some common sense if you don't.;(  You'll only make that mistake once.

• Haha 2

On 6/10/2019 at 7:14 AM, FishingTheFL said:

Unwarranted inspection is harassment. emoji106.png

If your trolling a long and your not doing any thing illegal that would warrant probable cause then they should leave you a lone. They can't legally just come up to your boat and demand to inspect your boat. I remember as a kid they tried to do unwarranted inspections... Got told where to go...

Sent from my moto e5 play using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If they ask to come aboard and you grant permission they have every right to look for any and all safety equipment. You can deny but it puts a target on your back if you are in an area they frequent. Also if you are trolling and snaking left to right it can be probable cause for impaired driving.

I have granted them permission and had flares out of date and just told me to get new ones. Nothing big, only thing they could've cited me for. Other time they didn't ask to see flares, and the 3rd time we were in 5' waves trolling and they wanted to board I told them no you checked me last month (which they did) and asked if we had life preservers for everyone and stated yes and they moved on. Don't give them an attitude and they leave you alone most of the time.

4 hours ago, Ahab said:

What are you supposed to do with a flair on a boat ?   Catch the boat or yourself on fire to get attention ? Has anyone ever lit a flair on there boat ?

I wouldn't recommend lighting a flare near your body or over the deck of the boat either, my uncle knew a guy in the fire dept. that lit one and the end broke off and went down into his boot. If that happens on the water there is no way you're picking it up and putting it overboard.

If you don’t want to deal with flares and their date codes, there is another option.  The USCG has approved a LED battery powered day/night emergency light that flashes an SOS.  Comes with a daytime orange flag and costs around $100.  Light itself has no expiration dare, however the three C cell batteries are to be replaced annually.  I don’t see any cost savings when you figure light cost and battery cost vs flare cost.  NYS Parks also accepts them on PV’s in lieu of flares as my inspector mentioned it as a good option.  I did buy one as I feel the cost of the flares to be a bit much.  Be interesting to see how it works out.

State police are cracking down all over. govern yourself stay clean. if one comes up to you treat him with respect. this state is getting worse everyday. the people are nuts alone with the rotten politicians running it. they are out to get your wallet. these bastards wont get my money. you give them rope they will hang you with it.  

On 6/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, Inthebox30lbs said:

Just another classic example of New York state sucking money from honest people because the state is flat broke.  Why don't they put that energy and harass all the crack heads running around upstate's cities.  Street checks and gas station checks.     

well said. I agree 100 percent.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, kayslay said:

Lake Ontario coast guard are not so pleasant.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They boarded my boat last year, no complaints, didn't even have to stop trolling. Gave me a copy of the inspection told me if to show it and you're good.

Edited by Charlie P

Just as a side-note, don’t forget that the USCG is a branch of the military.  They are not civilians as the State and Local Police are  They have given up many of their liberties in order to serve in that capacity and are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.  Any inconveniences we suffer as fishermen are slim compared to the “inconveniences” of serving in the military.  I think it is simple protocol to always thank them for their service and wish them a great week.

• Like 2