State Police

It is highly unlikely that any of us will ever encounter US Coast Guard personnel on any of the finger lakes waters. There is a station in Oswego and one in Rochester but the finger lakes are not in their area of responsibility. The volunteers at the coast guard auxiliary in Ithaca I commend for their efforts to promote boating safety but the coast guard Auxiliary is NOT the U S Coast Guard.  In the cold weather months you should not expect anyone to get out of bed and put a boat in the water to rescue you on Cayuga lake . You are on your own 

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

It is highly unlikely that any of us will ever encounter US Coast Guard personnel on any of the finger lakes waters. There is a station in Oswego and one in Rochester but the finger lakes are not in their area of responsibility. The volunteers at the coast guard auxiliary in Ithaca I commend for their efforts to promote boating safety but the coast guard Auxiliary is NOT the U S Coast Guard.  In the cold weather months you should not expect anyone to get out of bed and put a boat in the water to rescue you on Cayuga lake . You are on your own 

Actually your post is factually inaccurate.  The Finger lakes connected by the canal are in fact under the control of the United States Coast Guard.  Regardless of the time of year the USCG Oswego will respond to a mariner in distress.  It might be by helicopter if required but respond they will.  If there are more local assets those might be utilized first.   The USCG has limited assets and reach and as such created the USCG Auxiliary.  The Auxiliary is made up of volunteers and focuses on boating safety, education, marine patrols, and search and rescue.  These folks go through detailed depart of homeland security back ground checks and training.  Understand that a vessel displaying the USCG Patrol signs are under active orders and under the direct control of the USCG in this area Oswego Station.  With the exception of police powers they carry the same authority and responsibility as any active duty coast guard personnel.  The boat crews receive intensive training and train continuously throughout the season to respond to emergencies and keep people safe on the lakes.  Cold water operations are limited for everyone including all local responders.  The Auxiliary does stop operations on the lake by order of Oswego when water temps drop to low as to require survival suits. 

Hopefully this clears your confusion

:yes: Excellent explanation and write-up Mark. It is often beneficial to look at the glass as being half full rather than half empty:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Am I reading it right? It says that my 16.5 foot aluminum deep V with an outboard motor and “open construction” does not require a fire extinguisher on Cayuga?

https://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boating/documents/NYSBoatersGuide.pdf - page 24

“Fire Extinguishers

All mechanically propelled vessels, except outboards less than 26 feet in length and of open construction, must carry one B-I US Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher. Mechanically propelled vessels 26 feet to

less than 40 feet in length must carry two B-I US Coast Guard approved fire extin- guishers. Mechanically propelled vessels 40 feet to less than 65 feet in length must carry three B-I US Coast Guard approved fire extinguishers. Vessels 65 feet and greater in length should consult federal regulations. On any vessel, one B-II extinguisher may substitute for two B-I extinguishers. Vessels equipped with approved fixed extinguishing systems may carry one less B-I extinguisher.

Beyond the previously mentioned requirements fire extinguishers are also required whenever: a vessel is equipped with an inboard engine, where there are enclosed or permanently mounted fuel tanks on board, when there are enclosed living spaces, or there are closed stowage compartments in which combustible or flammable materials are stored.

The most common types of fire extinguishers are dry chemical and carbon dioxide. Dry chemical extinguishers are for use on fires caused by flammable liquids such as fuel or grease (class B fires) and electrical fires (class C). Carbon dioxide is good on combustible solids (class A fires) such as paper or wood as well as class B and C fires. All of these”

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

if you think I was confused before now I am really confused. Last that I knew only two of the finger lakes were part of the barge canal system.  None of the Mariners that I know would require assistance from the Coast Guard on these lakes but what about the average mom and pop boater ? In my opinion to suggest to them that a rescuer is going to magically appear out of the air above them and pluck them from the cold water is a reckless and dangerous disservice to them. My concern is for peoples safety. I was not trying to tarnish any ones sense of self importance. If I wanted to do that I would tell some of the old salty coast guard auxiliary jokes.

To set the record straight The auxiliary is made up of amateur civilians that are allowed to wear a uniform. ( they are NOT the United States Coast Guard ). Any boat with coast guard auxiliary patrol signs will belong to the auxiliary. Vessels with U S Coast Guard patrol signs, unlikely to be seen on the finger lakes, will belong to the U S Coast Guard.

Bottom line and my last comment on this subject, Despite what some pencil pusher will tell you, at any given point in time you are on your own out there and should not expect any of the fair weather rescuers to come to your assistance. 

Be safe have fun have a great week and the punch line to the joke is ( the coast guard auxiliary )

Sorry, the state police are there to make money for the state.. NOT to "render assistance".. They'll be gone when the first winds of autumn stir, and will be back when summer approaches again.. in other words, in the time frame when most people would be desperate for help on the finger lakes, when the water is cold and the wind blows hard... Just another  NY state money grab.. If it were the USCG out there, I might be more inclined to say, "thanks for watching out for us  boaters", but the NY state police?...  they are Cuomo's errand boys, looking to turn a few  extra bucks for the general fund... bob

Money grab for sure 17 tickets a month, Governor believes if your working a twelve hour shift, you have to see violations and must write ticket. Used to be educate the people ,not anymore. Sheriffs Department more educating than ticket writing.

Unreal. If there is justification for the law, in any form, doing safety checks or boat checks all they need to do is read this thread! Is it that difficult for you to ensure you have the required safety items aboard? You make sure sure you got all your thousands of dollars of fishing gear aboard but you piss and moan about a pack of flares and the fact that someone got a ticket. Ensure the safety of you, crew, loved ones, and quit whining. They are doing their job of ensuring water safety for all of us.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not really, SP will rescue but in the mean time it’s a money grab state just started having forest rangers out on snowmobile trails writing tickets, lots of them. State figured they can make more money that way, it isn’t for safety on the trails. I know some of them and that’s what I’m told. There told to go out on a weekend and write as many as possible . Why do you think they write for no helmet, seatbelt, it’s not for safety, it’s MONEY sure charge etc.

Funny this argument of safety vs tickets and money.  Statistics show the quickest way to reduce accidents and fatalities in an area is aggressive enforcement and tickets.  So whine all ya want.  Hypothesize about the dark motivations of the evil in the system... but some morons only understand the stick and have no common sense...

to rhe poster wondering if he was required  to have a fire extinguisher on your open boat with an outboard ... do it because it’s smart... you have gas on board man seriously ....

• Like 2

I always have  proper safety equipment, and usually carry 3 or 4 methods of propulsion.. In my 17 footer, i have a 70 HP main engine, a 4 HP  on the stern alongside it as backup, and a 2 HP gas outboard stowed away as backup to the backup. 2 paddles as well, always.

i carry an extinguisher that works, i have all required equipment, plus double the number of PFD's i would ever need.. However, when tickets are  handed out for a perfectly GOOD PFD because the damn tag is missing,  yes, it is indeed a money grab When tickets are handed out because expired flares are on the boat along with UP TO DATE flares. yes. its a money grab..... 

NY is overwhelmed by Welfare, Medicaid,  Low  income housing costs for the  "gimmie class". and is desperate for any  new funding it can muster .. They get it where they can... Boat owners typically have money, and its a good a place as any.. Are you guys REALLY that naive' to think the state of NY is "watching out for your safety and well being".. really?.. On the finger lakes??.. Please, give me a break... bob

Edited by bulletbob

1 hour ago, bulletbob said:

I always have  proper safety equipment, and usually carry 3 or 4 methods of propulsion.. In my 17 footer, i have a 70 HP main engine, a 4 HP  on the stern alongside it as backup, and a 2 HP gas outboard stowed away as backup to the backup. 2 paddles as well, always.

i carry an extinguisher that works, i have all required equipment, plus double the number of PFD's i would ever need.. However, when tickets are  handed out for a perfectly GOOD PFD because the damn tag is missing,  yes, it is indeed a money grab When tickets are handed out because expired flares are on the boat along with UP TO DATE flares. yes. its a money grab..... 

NY is overwhelmed by Welfare, Medicaid,  Low  income housing costs for the  "gimmie class". and is desperate for any  new funding it can muster .. They get it where they can... Boat owners typically have money, and its a good a place as any.. Are you guys REALLY that naive' to think the state of NY is "watching out for your safety and well being".. really?.. On the finger lakes??.. Please, give me a break... bob

Are you serious Bob?  A ticket given when legal flares are aboard because some additional outdated are on board??  If that is accurate law enforcement should not have to wonder any more why young people distrust them. Just plain wrong to ticket someone for that.  Don't care if it's technically legal..

I really appreciate the state troopers and the DEC being out on the water and the snow trails. Their presence removes a lot of drunken risk takers who are accident prone unpaid hospital bills producers. Law enforcement saves a lot more money than it costs. And tickets are not a way for the state to make money, they are given so people will not senselessly endanger themselves and others.

Been in law enforcement for 27 years, saw it when it was real and see  it as a money maker , go to a town court, see how much money from ticket goes to state vs town, and pay attention who is writing the most . I agree there is a lot of good lawenforcement , safety etc. but

So if it's the money grab they are in it for then don't break laws, have your required safety gear, and then there is no money to be made. Simple. If they are making so much money like many claim, then there are plenty of boaters not following boating and/or safety rules. That endangers me when I'm out there. I'm glad they're out there checking.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, thork9 said:

Not really, SP will rescue but in the mean time it’s a money grab state just started having forest rangers out on snowmobile trails writing tickets, lots of them. State figured they can make more money that way, it isn’t for safety on the trails. I know some of them and that’s what I’m told. There told to go out on a weekend and write as many as possible . Why do you think they write for no helmet, seatbelt, it’s not for safety, it’s MONEY sure charge etc.

Certainly the money is a great benefit to the State, helps to defray the costs of scraping some of the idiots who don't wear helmets or belts off trees, get some of the one who don't buy permits or register their machines, you know, the morons who tar all snowmobilers with a bad name and think it is their god given right to do so.  I personally think all these fines should triple. 

I am amazed on the amount of comments on this thread and I have been trying to hold my tongue.  I don’t mind law enforcement being on the water and doing checks, we all have to follow the laws whether in a boat, car, motorcycle, snowmobile or whatever.  If you are out of compliance be it for flairs, registration, speeding, etc.  well, you pay the price.  What bothers me is they are never around when the jet skis are running 10 feet off my dock at 50 MPH. Or after the fireworks, or other events on the lake, when boats are running WOT down the lake at night, where are they then?

I think it’s great that law enforcement is taking an active role on the water in the Finger Lakes. I just hope they do it in a way that will provide the most impact for our overall safety with the least amount of disruption to our time. 

Note:  I have almost 20 hours on Seneca lake this season and have not been stopped, so I have to ask, is this a case of 10% of the people making 90% of the noise.   

Jim K.               

I am amazed on the amount of comments on this thread and I have been trying to hold my tongue.  I don’t mind law enforcement being on the water and doing checks, we all have to follow the laws whether in a boat, car, motorcycle, snowmobile or whatever.  If you are out of compliance be it for flairs, registration, speeding, etc.  well, you pay the price.  What bothers me is they are never around when the jet skis are running 10 feet off my dock at 50 MPH. Or after the fireworks, or other events on the lake, when boats are running WOT down the lake at night, where are they then?
I think it’s great that law enforcement is taking an active role on the water in the Finger Lakes. I just hope they do it in a way that will provide the most impact for our overall safety with the least amount of disruption to our time. 

Note:  I have almost 20 hours on Seneca lake this season and have not been stopped, so I have to ask, is this a case of 10% of the people making 90% of the noise.   

Jim K.               

I was stopped on Owasco Lake in the paddle boat for having a 45 pound Minkota and a battery in an unregistered water vehicle. I was allowed to use it for getting back to my dock.

Does any local PD or NYS PD really have the right to do random checks on the water with no probable cause? I know the Coast Guard to be the only law enforcement agency (in NY) with this right - to stop  you for whatever reason at all. If any other water patrol is able to do that, that's news to me. 

I was stopped in 2017 in Fair Haven by the Coast Guard for a "safety check" and it was quick and easy, probably because I had everything. They give you a paper that says everything checks out and it's good for 1 year, in case you get stopped again you just show them that. The Cayuga County Sheriffs have been out a lot this year, though I've never seen them do boat checks of any sort whatsoever.